Proving Bessel Integral Relation

In summary, the conversation discusses methods to prove the equality of the integral (from 0 to infinity) of e-axJp(bx)dx and [sqr(a2+b2) - a] / bpsqr(a2+b2). The attempts include using the Legendre duplication formula and integrating by parts, with references to useful properties and identities for Bessel functions. The suggestion is made to test the formulas for b=1 before attempting more complicated methods.
rizardon

Homework Statement

Show that the integral (from 0 to infinity) of e-axJp(bx)dx = [sqr(a2+b2) - a] / bpsqr(a2+b2)

Homework Equations

Jp(bx) =
summation [ (-1)k(bx/2)2k+p ] / k! Gamma(k+p+1)

Gamma(x) = integral (from 0 to infinity) of e-ttx-1dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I've changed the Jp(bx) to its series representation

integral (from 0 to infinity) of e-ax * summation [ (-1)k(bx/2)2k+p ] / k! Gamma(k+p+1) dx

Next I represent the integral part with the gamma function

summation [ (-1)k (b)2k+p Gamma (2k+p+1) ] /
(k!)(2)2k+p Gamma(k+p+1) (a)2k+p+1

I'm following the steps given by the book (Special Functions of Mathematics For Engineers by Larry C. Andrews p.256). The pattern in the book is to apply the Legendre duplication formula and then try to manipulate the expression to express the expression as a binomial series. Somehow I don't think the duplication formula will work here. Can anyone tell me what I should do for the next step or is there a better approach to prove the equality.

Physics news on Phys.org
haven't tried it myself, but have you tried integrating by parts and using some of the derivatives identities for bessel functions?

The identities are all for Jp(x). Can I just replace x with bx or do i need to apply other properties to do so. Thanks.

1. What is the Bessel Integral Relation?

The Bessel Integral Relation is an important mathematical relationship that connects the Bessel function of the first kind with the modified Bessel function of the second kind. It is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, particularly in the analysis of wave phenomena.

2. How is the Bessel Integral Relation derived?

The Bessel Integral Relation is derived using complex analysis techniques and the properties of Bessel functions. It involves contour integration and the use of Cauchy's Integral Theorem and Jordan's Lemma.

3. What is the significance of the Bessel Integral Relation?

The Bessel Integral Relation is significant because it allows for the simplification and evaluation of complex integrals involving Bessel functions. It also provides a way to transform between different types of Bessel functions, making it a useful tool in solving various mathematical and physical problems.

4. Can the Bessel Integral Relation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the Bessel Integral Relation has many practical applications in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and signal processing. It is used to model and analyze wave phenomena such as sound waves, radio waves, and vibrations in mechanical systems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with the Bessel Integral Relation?

The Bessel Integral Relation is valid for a wide range of parameters, but it does have some limitations. It assumes that the parameters are real and positive, and that the functions being integrated have appropriate properties. In some cases, special techniques may be needed to evaluate the integral if these assumptions are not met.