Discussion work on magnetic fields. (Clarification only)

In summary, the absence of magnetic fields inside an iron ring placed between two facing horseshoe magnets can be attributed to the ring acting as a conductor and the air inside as an insulator. Additionally, there are no regions in the magnetic field where the field lines intersect because each line is unique and cannot intersect according to the existence-uniqueness theorem. If they were to intersect, it would lead to multiple possible directions for the magnetic field, which is impossible.
Physics_Dud
Specifically:
1. If there are two (horseshoe) magnets that are facing each (unlike poles facing ea) other and an iron ring is placed in between them. Why are there no magnetic fields inside the iron ring?

- As far as my understanding goes. I believe that there's no magnetic field inside the ring because the iron ring serves as something like a conductor whilst the air inside the ring serves as an insulator thus there are no magnetic fields inside the ring. Am I right?

Lastly...

2. Are there regions between permanent magnets where the magnetic field lines intersect? If yes where? If no why?

- There are no regions in the magnetic field where the magnetic field lines intersect. Simply because each magnetic field lines are distinctly unique with each other and do not intersect. If, however, they do intersect at one point, that would mean there are two values that can be acquired at that respective point and is completely impossible.
(I believe there's something lacking in my answer, like, there's an absence of a proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_Dud said:
Specifically:
1. If there are two (horseshoe) magnets that are facing each (unlike poles facing ea) other and an iron ring is placed in between them. Why are there no magnetic fields inside the iron ring?

- As far as my understanding goes. I believe that there's no magnetic field inside the ring because the iron ring serves as something like a conductor whilst the air inside the ring serves as an insulator thus there are no magnetic fields inside the ring. Am I right?

Moreover , the magnetic field developed by the iron ring is such that at its very centre the field lines are almost parallel.

Lastly...

2. Are there regions between permanent magnets where the magnetic field lines intersect? If yes where? If no why?

- There are no regions in the magnetic field where the magnetic field lines intersect. Simply because each magnetic field lines are distinctly unique with each other and do not intersect. If, however, they do intersect at one point, that would mean there are two values that can be acquired at that respective point and is completely impossible.
(I believe there's something lacking in my answer, like, there's an absence of a proof.

This is because , if they do intersect then it would mean that at "the point of intersection of two or more magnetic lines of force" , two or more tangents can be drawn showing that there are two or more possible directions for "the" magnetic field line. This is not so , as this would mean that you can throw a same ball by your same hand in two or more different directions at the same time ! Moreover existence-uniqueness theorem is violated. It states that here are unique solutions to the equations describing the magnetic field at each point in space.

Thank you for the swift reply. I'm sorry I forgot to reply as well. But it really did help me a lot on my lab report. Especially on the none intersection of magnetic field lines. ^_^

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field created by moving electric charges. It is strongest at the poles of a magnet and weaker as you move away from the magnet.

2. How does a magnetic field affect objects?

A magnetic field exerts a force on objects that have magnetic properties. This force can attract or repel the object depending on the alignment of their magnetic poles.

3. What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical uses, such as in compasses for navigation, in MRI machines for medical imaging, and in generators for producing electricity.

4. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. In magnets, the movement of electrons within the atoms creates a magnetic field. In electric currents, the movement of electrons through a wire creates a magnetic field around the wire.

5. Can magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials, such as iron or steel. This is why some objects, like credit cards, have a magnetic strip on them to protect the information from external magnetic fields.