Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disgusting things you eat

1. Jan 5, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Disgusting things you eat :)

I am eating a sandwhich with tongue on it, somehow it is rather rubbery.. Anyone else eats tongue?

How about horse, does anyone eat the meat of horse? I think it taste rather good on a sandwhich, I never had a horse steak though..

So any unusual things you eat?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2004 #2
    Re: Disgusting things you eat :)

there is a variety of salami in our country which is supposedly made from horse meat. Personally I like it but I can't really tell if it's from horse or not.

4. Jan 5, 2004 #3
    Monique

While it is vaguely interesting to note that you like tongue (yes, a bad joke), I couldn't possibly eat that. YUCK!

About the most disguting thing I eat is mass-produced processed food.

5. Jan 5, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Monique

Actually, yes that is disgusting

In The Netherlands we have a joke when someone is eating such food: "What is the difference between you and that sausage?" "The sausage contains more brains than you do"

6. Jan 5, 2004 #5

Njorl

Science Advisor

No doubt, it's scrapple.

"But what parts of the hog go into the creation of scrapple? After the ham, bacon, chops and other cuts of meat are taken from the butchered pig - what remains are fixings for scrapple - including the meat scraped off the head. Scrapple may contain pork skin, pork heart, pork liver, pork tongue - even pork brains. Those faint of palate needn't venture any further.
    "

from http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html

Njorl

7. Jan 5, 2004 #6
    That's like Australian meat pies. I think the law demands only about 25% normal meat now. The rest is guts, lungs, hooves, snouts, eyeballs, and all the other spare parts from the abatoir floor.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to stuff sausages in my ears...

8. Jan 5, 2004 #7

Njorl

Science Advisor

Re: Re: Monique

You should read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. There is a nice passage in there about sausage making. Evidently, it was very expensive to turn the machinery off and on. If a worker fell into the works it was just a free source of meat for the packing company.

Njorl

9. Jan 5, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ewhhh!!!

Can I make one thing clear: the Pensylvanian Dutch aren't actually related to the Dutch in Any way! Eating head scrapings.. ewh..

10. Jan 5, 2004 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tonight I am eating chicken livers that actually tastes very good, fried on bread with some fried bell pepper and mushrooms.

11. Jan 5, 2004 #10

Njorl

Science Advisor

Mushrooms? You eat fungus?!?! Why don't ya just pull off your shoes and eat some athlete's foot? Ewwww!

Njorl

PS - I like mushrooms too. I do not eat athlete's foot.

12. Jan 5, 2004 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

pork rinds :) (fried pig skins)...especially the spicy ones...

13. Jan 5, 2004 #12
    please don't say pig skin ......

14. Jan 5, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mushroom is not a fungus, it is the reproductive organ of a fungus. I like some blue cheeses though

15. Jan 5, 2004 #14

what's wrong with the green one?
    i like almost any variety of cheese that exists....

16. Jan 5, 2004 #15
    I've never felt the desire to eat any type of animal organ. I don't know why I dislike the idea, but I do. You are all demented and sick.

17. Jan 5, 2004 #16
    I guess the worst thing I eat is processed meat patties(beef or chicken) and bologna.

18. Jan 5, 2004 #17

Tsu

Gold Member

I eat chicken's periods.

Ya know, Monique. You were talking in another thread about something you were cooking up (maybe you mentioned a couple of dishes) and I was thinking "Wow. That sounds good. She sounds like a pretty good cook." Then, when we started talking about Ivan and me taking a trip to Europe, I thought "Cool. Maybe if we can get together with Monique, we can talk her into cooking up something yummy for us."

Never mind.

19. Jan 5, 2004 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ROTFLOL! You never know how good it tastes, unless you've tried it be carefull if you are planning to visit China any time in the future, they cook up REALLY weird stuff (and I ate it all).

20. Jan 5, 2004 #19
    SPAM has to be the hienous thing on the planet. I'd love to try haggus. Any scotts around ? I've eaten alligator(tastes like chicken-no joke). snake, snail,octopus, and the grossest has to be oysters rockafeller(raw-slides down your throat with all the consistency of dried mucous membrane).

21. Jan 5, 2004 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

Actually, I'm very willing to try almost anything - just don't tell me exactly what it is until I've eaten it. I'm OK knowing AFTER the fact, but not before. I draw the line with monkey brains, tho. I don't do monkey brains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?