1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dispersion Relation of a De Broglie Wave

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the dispersion relation to find the group velocity v_group and phase velocity v_phase.

2. Relevant equations

omega(k) = [(hbar)k^2]/2m

3. The attempt at a solution

v_group = domega(k)/dk = [hbar]k/m = h/m lambda = p/m = v

This isn't right.

v_phase = omega / k = 2pi f/(2pi/lambda) = f lamda = v

again... is this right?, doesn't look it but as far as I can see there is no mistake in the calc as I have doing it several times already, am I goign wrong in my physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2
    Hi there,

Your first answer is definitely right.

But then, why did you substitute omega = 2pi f and k = 2pi/lambda in the expression for the phase velocity? When I substitute the expression you were given for omega and divide it by k I get v_phase = 1/2 v.

I don't think f lambda equals v here, because if omega = (hbar*k^2)/2m I get f = h/(2m*lambda^2) and if you multiply that by lambda you'll get h/(2m*lambda) = p/2m which again gives you 1/2 v.

Relations like p = h/lambda, omega = 2pi f and k = 2pi/lambda are always true, but in a dispersive medium f lambda = v = v_group is not always true, only when omega = v * k, then v = v_group = v_phase.

Hope that helps.

Wynand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook