Dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure

In summary, acoustic and optical phonons can interact with each other. They can also interact with longitudinal and transverse phonons. However, the effect of these interactions is usually insignificant because the planar separation is comparatievely large.
jacare
I know acoustic and optical phonons can interact with one another. Also, longitudinal and transverse phonons can interact with one another. I am wondering can a longitudinal phonon in one plane act with a transverse phonon from another plane to create a third phonon? Or, do these phonon-phonon interactions happen only amongst phonons in similar planes?

Physics news on Phys.org
They can but it's rare for this to be significant because the planar separation is comparatievely large (usually). I've never seen it, but it's certainly possible. The largest effect would, i suppose, would be two TOs. The phonon modulated electron electron interaction would be interesting too, with polar coupling.

Cheers

arw75 said:
The phonon modulated electron electron interaction would be interesting too, with polar coupling.
I'm curious what you mean by this? Did you mean "phonon mediated"? Could you elaborate (and throw in some references, if possible)?

Hi again,

I got the term phonon modulated from Gerald Mahan and LM Woods. They describe it in PRB 60, 5276 (1999) for systems with one atom per unit cell. They later extend it to two which they then use to show that the effect is comparable to the deformation eph interaction in graphene. That ref is on my laptop. Anyway, there are some tidy diagrams for the interaction in the former. It's a straight e-e interaction with a phonon line added between initial or final states.

The propagation of Cooper pairs is phonon assisted transport of two electrons (PR 108, 1175 (1957)... of course!) . I don't work on superconductors so I don't know if it's an identical effect, and perhaps the word there is phonon-mediated. I don't know... It would be interesting to look at the Feynman Diagrams for that.

arw75 said:
I got the term phonon modulated from Gerald Mahan and LM Woods. They describe it in PRB 60, 5276 (1999) for systems with one atom per unit cell. They later extend it to two which they then use to show that the effect is comparable to the deformation eph interaction in graphene. That ref is on my laptop. Anyway, there are some tidy diagrams for the interaction in the former. It's a straight e-e interaction with a phonon line added between initial or final states.
Thanks for the reference. Mahan's paper talks about phonon modulated e-e interactions, which I now understand better.

But let me point out that the diagram you've described (if I'm not misinterpreting it) actually refers to a phonon mediated interaction. Read the first sentence in the second paragraph (and see ref 6, MacDonald et al, PRB 23, 2718, 1981).

Ah thanks for that. That's what you get for not reading the intro! I got the idea that ph-mediated e-e would be the exchange of a phonon, but wasn't sure. The diagrams I'm referring to (figs 1 and 2) are modulations though. The exchange mechanism is Coulombic, but the phonons alter the positions... Unless I'm mistaken. So the deformation has an indirect effect on the coulomb interaction.

Thanks again,
Will take a look at MacDonald now.

Just by the way, why the ref to Zhukov et al? My honours thesis used the Rashba effect to determine the effect of the spin orbit interaction on the dielectric function and plasma frequencies.

Cheers

the pic. I see. nevermind

Didn't want to be using the picture without acknowledging the source. I used to have the acknowledgment buried somewhere in my profile, but I recently decided to put it in a more visible place.

1. What are dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure?

Dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure refer to the relationship between the frequency and wave vector of phonons (vibrational modes) in a diamond crystal lattice. These relations are important in understanding the behavior of phonons and their interactions in diamond.

2. How are dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure measured?

Dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as Raman spectroscopy, Brillouin scattering, or neutron scattering. These methods involve measuring the energy and momentum of phonons and plotting them on a dispersion curve.

3. What is the significance of dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure?

The dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure provide important information about the mechanical, thermal, and optical properties of diamond. They also play a crucial role in understanding the thermal conductivity, thermal expansion, and sound propagation in diamond.

4. How do dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure differ from other crystal structures?

Dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure are unique due to the strong covalent bonding between carbon atoms in the lattice. This results in a complex lattice structure and a different set of dispersion relations compared to other crystal structures, such as metals or ionic compounds.

5. Can dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure be altered?

Yes, dispersion relations in diamond crystal structure can be altered by introducing defects or impurities into the crystal lattice. These alterations can affect the phonon behavior and may have implications for the thermal and mechanical properties of diamond.