Displacement of an electron between two plates

In summary, an electron is accelerated through a voltage of 1.14x103 V, then passes through deflecting plates with a voltage of 412 V. Its velocity is perpendicular to the electric field and it travels a distance of 4.00 cm. Using the given equations, we find that the electron's velocity is 2.001x107 m/s and it takes 2.0x10-9 s to travel the distance. Therefore, the electron moves 7.23x10-3 m toward the positive plate.
oy_katet

Homework Statement

In an oscilloscope, an electron is accelerated from rest through a voltage of 1.14x103 V. It then passes through deflecting plates 2.00 cm apart, across which there is a voltage of 412 V. Its velocity when it enters the plates is perpendicular to the electric field of the plates. When the electron leaves the plates, what distance will it have moved toward the positive plate? The length of the plates are 4.00 cm.

The answer is 7.23x10-3 m

Homework Equations

Givens:
vi= 0
Va= 1.14x103 V
Vd= 412 V
length of plate = 4 cm = 0.04 m
d= 2 cm= 0.02 m

Equations:
1/2mv2= Vaq
t=length of plate/v
E=Vd/d
F= Eq
a= F/m
x=1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, because it's an electron
q= 1.6x10-19
m= 9.11x10-31

Using the above equations and plugging in the givens, I've gotten:

v= 2.001x107 m/s

t=1.0x10-9 s

E= 20600 v/m

F= 3.296x10-15 N

a= 3.618x1015 m/s2

x= 1.809x10-3 m

which is not the right answer :( I'm not very good at physics so I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
oy_katet said:
Using the above equations and plugging in the givens, I've gotten:

v= 2.001x107 m/s
Correct...

oy_katet said:
t=1.0x10-9 s

here is a mistake: The electron travels along the length of the plate with the v=2.00 m/s so the time is 2.0x10-9 s

ehild

ehild said:
Correct...

here is a mistake: The electron travels along the length of the plate with the v=2.00 m/s so the time is 2.0x10-9 s

ehild

Wellp, I'm just a big ol' dummy! I can't believe I made that oversight. Thanks so much!

1. What is the displacement of an electron between two plates?

The displacement of an electron between two plates refers to the movement of an electron from one plate to another in an electric field.

2. How does the displacement of an electron between two plates occur?

The displacement of an electron between two plates occurs when an electric field is applied to the plates. The electric field exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to move from one plate to the other.

3. What factors affect the displacement of an electron between two plates?

The displacement of an electron between two plates is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the plates, and the charge of the plates. A stronger electric field and a shorter distance between the plates will result in a larger displacement of the electron.

4. Is the displacement of an electron between two plates a continuous process?

No, the displacement of an electron between two plates is not a continuous process. Once the electron reaches the second plate, it will no longer be displaced and will remain on that plate until a new electric field is applied.

5. What is the significance of the displacement of an electron between two plates?

The displacement of an electron between two plates is significant because it is the basis for many electronic devices, such as capacitors, which use the displacement of electrons to store and release energy. It also plays a crucial role in understanding electricity and electric fields.