Displacement of fluid from a pulse

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the fluid displacement in a packed vessel when air is pulsed through a pulse leg. The amplitude and frequency of the pulse have been calculated to be 0.4m and 1 s-1, respectively. The vessel has a diameter of 0.4m and a height of 1.7m, with a pulse leg height of 2.2m. The ratio of fluid 1 to fluid 2 is 2:1 and the densities of the two fluids are 850 kg/m^3 and 1100 kg/m^3, respectively. The space taken up by the packing in the vessel is 70%. The individual is unsure of how to proceed without
RiverRunner
Hi,

The following question is related to my individual design for an engineering subject.

I am trying to calculate the fluid displacement in a packed vessel when air is pulsed through a pulse leg, which is connected to the bottom of the vessel. Using equations from literature, I have calculated the amplitude and frequency of the pulse to be 0.4m and 1 s-1, respectively.The following picture shows the general setup, although the pulse leg is above the vessel.
pulsed.jpg
Help/Tips/Suggestions to do this would be fantastic, I only need a starting point.

Information:

There are two fluids inside the vessel.
The ratio of fluid 1 to fluid 2 is 2:1.
The density of fluid 2 is 1100 kg/m^3
The density of fluid 1 is 850 kg/m^3
The space the packing takes up in the column is 70%

The diameter of the vessel is 0.4m.
The height of the vessel is 1.7m
The height of the pulse leg is 2.2m
The amplitude of the pulse is 0.4m
The frequency of the pulse is 1s-1

Many thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I'm the best person to answer but...

Air cannot be injected unless the air pressure is sufficient to overcome the pressure in the vessel due to the density of the fluids etc. If the pressure is "only just" sufficient then the volume displaced initially will be the same as the volume of air injected. If the air pressure is much higher then the air bubble will expand as soon as it's injected displacing more fluid. I'm not sure there is enough info to proceed unless you assume that the air pressure is "only just" enough for injection?

Then the air bubble may expand as it rises through the fluids and the pressure reduces causing more fluid to be pushed out.

So I'd start by working out the volume of air injected. What do you mean by "The amplitude of the pulse is 0.4m"? Could you just multiply that by the cross sectional area of the pulse pipe to get the volume of air per pulse?

What is meant by "displacement of fluid from a pulse"?

Displacement of fluid from a pulse refers to the movement or transfer of fluid caused by the propagation of a pulse, such as a sound or pressure wave, through the fluid. This displacement can result in changes in pressure, density, and velocity of the fluid.

How is fluid displacement from a pulse measured?

Fluid displacement from a pulse is often measured using a displacement transducer, which converts the movement of a fluid into an electrical signal that can be recorded and analyzed. Other methods include using a manometer or observing changes in the height of a liquid column.

What factors affect the displacement of fluid from a pulse?

The displacement of fluid from a pulse can be affected by various factors, such as the properties of the fluid (e.g. density, viscosity), the characteristics of the pulse (e.g. amplitude, frequency), and the medium through which the pulse is propagating (e.g. air, water).

What are the applications of studying fluid displacement from a pulse?

The study of fluid displacement from a pulse has various applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, acoustics, and engineering. It can be used to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in different environments, and to design systems that utilize fluid displacement for specific purposes, such as shock absorbers or sound amplification.

How is the displacement of fluid from a pulse related to wave motion?

The displacement of fluid from a pulse is closely related to wave motion, as both involve the transfer of energy through a medium. In fact, fluid displacement from a pulse can be seen as a type of wave motion, where the fluid particles vibrate back and forth as the pulse passes through them.