Displacement/ Velocity/ Acceleration Clock Question

In summary, the conversation is discussing a clock with a 20cm minute hand and calculating the displacement vector, average velocity vector, and average acceleration vector in unit-vector notation from the 6PM mark to the 9PM mark. The magnitude and direction of the average acceleration vector are also being calculated. The conversation also touches on finding the speed of the arrow tip of the minute hand and using unit vector notation for the displacement vector.
popmop2
A clock has a 20cm minute hand. From the 6PM mark to the 9PM mark, for the tip of the minute hand, calculate:

a) the displacement vector in unit-vector notation
b) the average velocity vector in unit-vector notation
c) the average acceleration vector in unit-vector notation
d) calculate the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration vector

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello popmop2, welcome to PF! This is a great site and people will be happy to help you-- but per the rules, you have to show some effort. These questions are based on the definitions of the terms so give them a try.

Sorry for not posting my work earlier.

So far I have...

a) On any given clock, from 6PM to 9PM, the minute hand is 20cm. So applying a^2+b^2=c^2 with a= 20cm and b=20cm...I get the displacement value of 28.2842cm

b) average velocity = Δd/Δt = 28.2842/(3-0) =9.4280 cm/h

c) average acceleration = vf-vi/ tf-ti = (0.1571cm/s) / (3hrs) = 0.0008cm/s^2

d) magnitude = 28.2842cm
direction is tan^-1 (-20/-20) = 45°

Questions a), b) and c) are looking for the answer to be a vector (magnitude and direction) in the unit vector notation. Are you familiar with that?

For a) you have found the magnitude.

For b) the average velocity vector is defined as the displacement vector divided by time. I think the question is implying time to be 15 minutes.

For c) the average acceleration vector formula is similar to what you have except that vf and vi are instantaneous velocity vectors. This will require you to find the speed of the arrow tip of the minute hand.

For d) you first need to find c).

a) since i have found the magnitude, i will need to find the displacement
the displacement of the clock moving the minute hand (20cm) from 6pm to 9pm is equal to the parimeter of the circle from 6pm to 9pm
P=2∏r = 2∏(20) = 40∏= 125.60
then i will have to divide by 4 to get the perimeter of a 6pm to 9pm = 31.4cm

so for a) the answer would be 31.4 cm

b) the average velocity vector would be 31.4/(15-0) = 2.0933cm/min = 0.0348cm/second = 0.0003488 m/s

c) i am not sure how to find the speed of the arrow tip of the minute hand at time t=6pm and t=9pm

d) i cannot solve d since i am not sure on how to solve part c)

thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it

popmop2 said:
a) since i have found the magnitude, i will need to find the displacement
No, you already found the correct magnitude (of the displacement). But the questions asks for a vector, so you also need to specify its direction. And it asks for this in 'unit vector notation'. Presumably you know what that means?
There's no point in looking at b c and d until that's clear.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance traveled by an object in a particular direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (distance) and direction.

What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. It is also a vector quantity and includes both speed (magnitude) and direction. It can be calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is also a vector quantity and includes both magnitude and direction. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How is displacement/velocity/acceleration related to time?

Displacement, velocity, and acceleration are all quantities that involve the concept of time. Time is used to measure the change in these quantities over a period.

Why is the "Displacement/ Velocity/ Acceleration Clock Question" important in science?

The "Displacement/ Velocity/ Acceleration Clock Question" is important in science because it helps us understand the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These concepts are fundamental in the study of motion and are used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.