Display built with a rotating cube design

In summary: I'm having a problem with the rotation mechanism and how/which components to use and calculate in order to get the desired speed (basically slow rotation, ideal 6rpm).
Petroviski
TL;DR Summary
I want to build a rotating display cube (will be mounted on a wall, those cubes that has shops logos ect..), my problem is that I don't know where to start and how to attack the rotating mechanism.
Hello everyone, I want to build a rotating display cube (will be mounted on a wall, those cubes that has shops logos ect..), my problem is that I don't know where to start and how to attack the rotating mechanism. I have a 1400Rpm moteur (and it's a 1m per 1m cube that weights around 120kg-150kg once finished ) mand my desired rotation for the cube is 6Rpm so definitely going to be needing 2 reductors(reducers), and belt pulley system for the mounted turn table/axe. Now I'm confused because I don't know where to start my calculations and which equipment should I use or the adequate system for such a project. I will appreciate any help and suggestions considering this topics (Links, formulas, blueprints, guidance anything...). Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good place to start is to make and post a sketch showing what you want the finished project to look like. The sketch should show the axis of rotation.

Likes Petroviski
Will it be outside ?
What is the maximum possible wind speed ?
How much snow and ice could build up on the cube ?

Likes Petroviski
jrmichler said:
A good place to start is to make and post a sketch showing what you want the finished project to look like. The sketch should show the axis of rotation.
You're absolutely right, and sorry about that!
It should be something like this or at least this is what I came up with as a start.

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_153938.jpg
    IMG_20210905_153938.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 152
Baluncore said:
Will it be outside ?
What is the maximum possible wind speed ?
How much snow and ice could build up on the cube ?
Thank you for your response.
Maximum wind speed is around 35km/hours, it will be mounted outside approximately 5m above the ground, surrounded by higher appartements ect..Snow is out of the equation luckily.
(Again sorry if I'm not using the right terms for this)

Will it be possible for people to walk underneath?

Likes Petroviski
anorlunda said:
Will it be possible for people to walk underneath?
Yes, there is a sidewalk under it and it will be mounted on the side of a shop access 5meters above. (I'm having a problem with the rotation mechanism and how/which components to use and calculate in order to get the desired speed (basically slow rotation, ideal 6rpm). )

Petroviski said:
I'm having a problem with the rotation mechanism and how/which components to use and calculate in order to get the desired speed (basically slow rotation, ideal 6rpm).
Do you also have a significant liability, and a problem with insurance.

Likes Petroviski
Baluncore said:
Do you also have a significant liability, and a problem with insurance.
No no problems, but of course will make it as secure as possible. Will take everything in consideration.

Petroviski said:
No no problems, but of course will make it as secure as possible. Will take everything in consideration.
You may need a building permit for that, and to submit plans to the city.

Here on Physics Forums, we usually do not give advice on building structures, especially those that must meet local building codes. We don't have access to your local building codes.

Likes jrmichler
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

anorlunda said:
You may need a building permit for that, and to submit plans to the city.
In addition to the permit and inspections, overhead outdoor moving structures require engineering input from a person with knowledge of your specific environment. That person must also be familiar reliability centered design. This project requires input from a professional engineer on-site. Please look into hiring a local professional engineer to help you with this, and please also be sure to get input and buy-off from your professional building insurance that you currently cover for your business.

Thread will remain closed.

1. What is a display built with a rotating cube design?

A display built with a rotating cube design is a type of exhibit or display that features a cube-shaped structure that can rotate or spin, allowing viewers to see different sides and angles of the display.

2. What materials are typically used to create a display with a rotating cube design?

Common materials used to create a display with a rotating cube design include wood, plastic, metal, and acrylic. These materials are often chosen for their durability and ability to support the rotating mechanism.

3. How does the rotating mechanism work in a display with a rotating cube design?

The rotating mechanism in a display with a rotating cube design typically consists of a motor or hand crank that is connected to the cube structure, allowing it to rotate. Some displays may also use magnets or bearings to help with the rotation.

4. What are the benefits of using a rotating cube design for a display?

A rotating cube design can add an element of interactivity and engagement to a display, as viewers can actively explore different sides and angles of the exhibit. It can also make the display more visually appealing and dynamic.

5. What types of displays are best suited for a rotating cube design?

A rotating cube design can be used for a variety of displays, but it is especially effective for showcasing products or objects that have different features or details on each side. It can also be used for educational or informational displays that require a 360-degree view.