Distance after pushoff between two objects

• Thread starter spider3367
  • Start date
In summary: I'm back after brushing my teeth …)In summary, the parent and child are about 6 meters apart at 3 seconds after their push off.
spider3367

Homework Statement

A 60 kg parent and a 12 kg child meet at the center of an ice rink. They push off each other for .5 seconds. If the acceleration of the child is 2.6 m/s^2, then what is the distance between the parent and the child at 3 seconds after their push off?

Homework Equations

F=ma
X=Xo +Vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the net force of the child is (12)(2.6)= 31.2 N. Using Newtons equal and opposite law, I know that the force of the parent must be -31.2 N. Then to find the acceleration of the parent, -31.2=(60)a which means a= -.52 m/s^2. From there I think you plug in each of of the acceleration with time 2.5 into the equation above to get each of their positions (X=0 + 0 + 1/2 at^2). with that I get about 6 meters difference and I know that is not the answers

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi spider3367! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, you've basically done it correctly, but you've not read the question properly! :rolleyes:

The acceleration is as given for .5 seconds, but after that, the acceleration is zero. :wink:

(also, you could have got .52 m/s2 simply by using good ol' Newton's first law … there's no external force, so the position of the center of mass will be stationary)

Try again! :smile:

So I'm still a little confused.

(2.6 m/s2)(.5^2)*1/2=.325
(.52m/s2)(.5^2)*1/2=.065

add them= .39 meters? That seems like it can't be right.

(please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

i] you could have added the 2.6 to the .52 to get the relative acceleration, abnd put that into the formula

ii] you still have another 2.5 seconds of constant speed to account for. :smile:

(and I'm going to bed :zzz:)​

Am I on the right track with this:

xtotal=[0+(2.6)(2.5)] + [0+(.52)(2.5)] + .39 meters (from calculated accelerations)

Hi spider3367! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
spider3367 said:
xtotal=[0+(2.6)(2.5)] + [0+(.52)(2.5)]

Nooo … you need the speed after 0.5 seconds.

What is the definition of "distance after pushoff between two objects"?

The distance after pushoff between two objects is the distance between the two objects after they have been pushed away from each other with a certain force.

How is the distance after pushoff between two objects calculated?

The distance after pushoff between two objects can be calculated by using the formula: d = ½ * a * t^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What factors affect the distance after pushoff between two objects?

The distance after pushoff between two objects is affected by the force of the push, the mass of the objects, and any external factors such as friction or air resistance.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the distance after pushoff between two objects?

Understanding the distance after pushoff between two objects is important in sports, such as throwing a ball or hitting a baseball. It is also useful in engineering, for designing projectiles or calculating the distance a rocket will travel.

How does the distance after pushoff between two objects relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The distance after pushoff between two objects is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the third law which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The force of the pushoff will determine the acceleration and ultimately the distance between the two objects.