Find vertical distance of missed shot

• Thread starter hndalama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertical
In summary: Your method looks correct to me.In summary, the problem involves a hunter aiming a blowgun at a bird on a tree branch, with a distance of 4.0 m vertically and 10 m horizontally. The speed of the dart is 25.0 m/s and the bird stays in place. The calculation involves finding the vertical distance at which the dart will miss the bird, using the equations of motion. The final answer should be 0.784 m, but it may vary depending on the given options.
hndalama

Homework Statement

A hunter is aiming a blowgun directly at a bird on a tree branch 4.0 m above the blowgun and 10 m away. If the speed of the dart is 25.0 m/s and the bird stays in place, by what vertical distance will the dart miss the bird?

Homework Equations

s= ut + 0.5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

the angle(b) of the blowgun is
tanb=4/10 b =21.8

in x direction
u = 25cosb =23.2
a=0
s=10
so t=10/23.2 = 0.43

in y direction
t = 0.43
a=-9.8
u= 25sinb = 9.28

s=ut +0.5at2
s= 3.086

vertical distance of miss = 4 - 3.086 = 0.91

My answer is marked wrong but what is wrong with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't see anything wrong with it unless I made the same mistake you did.

Your work looks correct. Was a diagram included with the problem? The phrase "10 m away" could mean that the straight line distance between the hunter and the bird is 10 m.

Likes hndalama
TSny said:
The phrase "10 m away" could mean that the straight line distance between the hunter and the bird is 10 m.
Good point.

TSny said:
Your work looks correct. Was a diagram included with the problem? The phrase "10 m away" could mean that the straight line distance between the hunter and the bird is 10 m.
ah ..ofcourse. Thank you:wink:

actually guys, I tried it again and the answer I'm getting is still marked wrong.

the angle(b) of the blowgun is
sinb=4/10 b =23.58

in x direction
u = 25cosb =22.9
a=0
s=10cosb =9.17
so t=9.17/22.9 = 0.4

in y direction
t = 0.40
a=-9.8
u= 25sinb = 10

s=ut +0.5at^2
s= 3.216

vertical distance of miss = 4 - 3.216 = 0.784

again this is marked wrong but what is wrong with it?

I got 0.785 m. Maybe it needs to be a negative number since it hits below the bird.

it can't be negative, the question is asking for the "distance" which is a scalar quantity. And the question is actually a multiple choice question: The given options are:
a. 0.43 m
b. 0.53 m
c. 0.63 m
d. 0.73 m
e. 1.50 m

I picked 0.73 but that was marked wrong

I don't know. Sometimes the "correct" answer is just incorrect.

Likes hndalama

1. What is the concept of finding the vertical distance of a missed shot?

The vertical distance of a missed shot refers to the measurement of how far away the shot landed from the intended target in a vertical direction. It is typically measured in units such as feet or meters.

2. Why is it important to calculate the vertical distance of a missed shot?

Calculating the vertical distance of a missed shot can provide valuable information about the accuracy of the shooter and the effectiveness of the equipment used. It can also help in identifying any potential errors in technique that may be affecting the shot.

3. What factors can affect the vertical distance of a missed shot?

The vertical distance of a missed shot can be influenced by several factors, including the angle of the shot, the velocity and trajectory of the projectile, external forces such as wind or gravity, and the accuracy of the shooter.

4. How is the vertical distance of a missed shot measured?

The vertical distance of a missed shot can be measured using various methods, such as manual measurement with a ruler or measuring tape, using specialized equipment such as a rangefinder or ballistics calculator, or through computer simulations.

5. Can the vertical distance of a missed shot be used to improve shooting performance?

Yes, by analyzing the vertical distance of missed shots, shooters can identify areas for improvement and make adjustments to their technique or equipment to improve their accuracy and precision. It can also help in understanding and predicting the behavior of projectiles under different conditions.