1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance for charge to travel through magnetic field

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the diagram below, an elementary charge (either an electron or a proton, you decide) is accelerated between two charged plates into a magnetic field. The mass of the proton = 1.67x10^-27 kg. The mass of an electron = 9.11x10^-31 kg.

D. Find the distance from the entrance point to where the charge

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the electron is going to arc up while going through the field, but I don't know how to find how much it arcs up and therefore the point at which it exits. FYI, the field is 10cm x 10cm, and starts right after the proton moves through the hole in the plate. How do I figure it out from here? Is there a way to figure out how far up the proton will move vertically? If so, I could draw a triangle and find the distance to where it exits

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2
    If the velocity is perpendicular to the magnetic field you can find the radius of the arc by mv / |q|B

Not sure if this is the right approach but it might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook