Distance for charge to travel through magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bluedevil09
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the diagram below, an elementary charge (either an electron or a proton, you decide) is accelerated between two charged plates into a magnetic field. The mass of the proton = 1.67x10^-27 kg. The mass of an electron = 9.11x10^-31 kg.

D. Find the distance from the entrance point to where the charge

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



I know that the electron is going to arc up while going through the field, but I don't know how to find how much it arcs up and therefore the point at which it exits. FYI, the field is 10cm x 10cm, and starts right after the proton moves through the hole in the plate. How do I figure it out from here? Is there a way to figure out how far up the proton will move vertically? If so, I could draw a triangle and find the distance to where it exits
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the velocity is perpendicular to the magnetic field you can find the radius of the arc by mv / |q|B

Not sure if this is the right approach but it might help.