1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance from earth an object would have to fall from to reach speed x

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    big G = G = 6.674E-11 N(m/Kg)^2

Mass of earth = Me = 5.972E24 Kg

Radius of earth = Rsurface = Rs = 6.371E6 metres

THIS IS NOT HOMEWORK

Okay so I was interested to know how you would work out the distance you'd need drop an object from (above the earths surface), for it to reach a given speed (neglecting air resistance).

Here's what I've got so far:

We know Force = F = G *(Mass of object 1 * Mass of object 2)/radius^2 = G * Mm/r^2

F = mass * acceleration = m*a

F/m = a

a = G * m/r^2

This is an equation for the acceleration of the object at any distance away from the centre of the earth (considering earth as a point mass for distances < Rs), taking into account the inverse square law of gravity.

Right now it would be handy to have a in terms of t, so we could integrate to get an equation for v = velocity (units m/s). But instead we have it in terms of r (units metres).

So I thought I might be able to integrate a in terms of r away to get something with the units (m/s)^2, which I thought might give us v^2. which we could square root to get an equation for v in terms of r? But I wasn't sure if that is correct/if I had overlooked some concept which means it isn't giving me what I wanted.

Here's the integration I did:

a = G * Me/r^2

v^2 = G * (integralOf(m/r^2)dr for the range lower limit = Rs to upper limit = r) = G * ([-(Me/r)] for the range Rs to r)

so v^2 = G * (-Me/r - (Me/Rs) = G * Me*(r - Rs)/(r * Rs)

so v = Sqroot( G * Me *(r - Rs)/(r * Rs) )

with a rearrangement

( (r*Rs) * v^2 )/(G*Me) - r = -Rs

r * ( (Rs*v^2)/(G*Me) ) - 1 ) = -Rs

r = -Rs/( ( (Rs*v^2)/(G*Me) ) - 1 ) )

Now I have tested this out and it wasn't correct (too far out to be correct when I compared it for the constant acceleration model given by the suvat equations).

But I did notice that if you do this (using suvat equations):

a = 9.81 acceleration

s = r = displacement in metres

u - start velocity = 0 m/s (metres per second)

v^2 = 0^2 + 2*a*s

v = Sqroot(2*a*s) you obviously get the right answer for constant acceleration, but what they're doing here is multiplying a by a distance vector to get v^2, which makes me think my decision to integrated above should have been okay (since integration find the area under a curve, which is like multiplication of the axes).

Then I noticed that if you divide the right hand side of that suvate equation by Sqroot(2), you get extremely similar answers to my previous equation:

v = Sqroot( G * Me *(r - Rs)/(r * Rs) )

So I multiplied the RHS of my variable acceleration equation by Sqroot(2) and it seems to be right. But I'm not sure where I went wrong in the first place!

New equation:

v = Sqroot(2 * G * Me *(r - Rs)/(r * Rs) )

So I do the rearrangement for r again and get (thinking it will work this time):

r = -Rs/( ( (Rs*v^2)/(2*G*Me) ) - 1 ) )

Now it works! That value of r is including the earths radius, so you need to minus 6.371E6 to get the distance about the earth surface :).

What I actually want help with READ :P:

BUT I'm still not sure where that factor of 2 came from. I think it may have come from the integration, but the power of r in my initial equation for acceleration, was -2, which you increase to -1, then divide by the new power (being -1, not 2). Any clarification will be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT:

Okay so I thought I'd also have a go at trying to find out the true gravitational potential energy, considering the inverse square nature of gravity.

I just subbed the equation for v^2 into KE = 1/2 * m * v^2 :).

So true GPE = 1/2 * m * (2 * G * Me *(r - Rs)/(r * Rs) ). If you want it relative to the centre of the earth make Rs 0, or if just for when the object hits the earths surface make Rs = 6.371E6 :).

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"So I thought I might be able to integrate a in terms of r away to get something with the units (m/s)^2, which I thought might give us v^2. which we could square root to get an equation for v in terms of r? But I wasn't sure if that is correct/if I had overlooked some concept which means it isn't giving me what I wanted."

Sure. But remember that for EVERY dimensionless constant "k", the quantity k*v^2 has the right dimensions!

Thus, without knowing which "k" is the right one, you won't get the right answer.

The factor 1/2 is the one appearing in the quantity called "kinetic energy",

4. May 11, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure where I went wrong. I'd have thought that is my acceleration equation was correct, then as long as I integrated everything properly my v^2 equation should still be correct, because I'd have though that the division part of integrating would have sorted out any constant factors?

Also where is the 1/2 that is appearing you speed of? It is a factor of 2 that appears, which is the reciprocal of 1/2. But I haven't used the KE equation. I know that KE = 1/2 m v^2 can be derived using F = ma, which I did use.

Any more explanation would be appreciated :).

5. May 11, 2013 #4
    Step by step

a = GM/r[itex]^{2}[/itex]

a dr = GM dr / r[itex]^{2}[/itex]

a = dv/dt

Subst and re-arrange

vdv = GM/r[itex]^{2}[/itex] dr

Integrate, yielding

v[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2 = -GM/r

v[itex]^{2}[/itex] = -2GM/r

Now you have the 2 ( and the square root of 2 )

Take your limits or r from r1 to r2 where r1>r2 and you should come up to your good equation.

6. May 12, 2013 #5
    Thank you very much! So my mistake was to presume that I could jump from:

a dr ----> v^2

because the units matched up :P. Well this was fun and definitely helped me brush up on my maths :)!!!!!

Regards, Greg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook