Distance from origin to a surface

In summary, if we try to find the shortest distance from the origin to the surface, we first need to find the normal to the surface, and then use the distance formula to find the minimum distance.
noelo2014
Had this question on a test today, Find the shortest distance from the origin to the surface

xyz2=2

I figured out by intuition that the shortest line between the origin to the surface will also be normal to the surface.

I haven't done much of these functions in 3 variables, I read somewhere that the gradient at the point on the surface will denote the normal line.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
z²=2/(xy)
d²=x²+y²+z²=x²+y²+2/(xy)
Partial derivative relative to x :
2x-2/(x²y)=0
Partial derivative relative to y :
2y-2/(xy²)=0
Solving the equations y*(x^3)=x*(y^3)=1 leads to :
x=y=1
then z=sqrt(2)
min.distance d=2

Likes 1 person
I'm not that smart, you'll have to explain a bit more clearly.
I'm guessing d is the distance.
I guess you're using the distance formula in line 2. I guess x,y and z refer to the x,y and z coordinate of the point on the surface nearest the origin.

I think you need some more brackets too. I think I see what you're doing though... Too bad 2 was the first number I guessed, should have just wrote it down!

Write it yourself. So, it will be possible to correct you if there is something that you don't make correctly.

Another way to do this: we want to minimize the distance from (0, 0, 0) to (x, y, z) subject to the condition that [itex]xyz^2= 2[/itex]. You say you know that "the shortest line between the origin to the surface will also be normal to the surface." Okay, the normal to that surface at any point will be in the direction of the vector [itex]\nabla (xyz^2)= yz^2\vec{i}+ xz^2\vec{j}+ 2xyz\vec{k}[/itex]. And any line through the origin to point (x, y, z) is in the direction [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex].

In order that the line through the origin be normal to the surface, those two vectors must be parallel which means one is a multiple of the other. Calling that multiplier "[itex]\lambda[/itex]". Then we must have
[itex]yz^2\vec{i}+ xz^2\vec{j}+ 2xyz\vec{k}= \lambda(x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k})[/itex]
(this is equivalent to the "Lagrange multiplier" method).

So [itex]yz^2= \lambda x[/itex], [itex]xz^2= y[/itex], and [itex]2xyz= \lambda z[/itex] as well as the original equation of the surface, [itex]xyz^2= 2[/itex]. That gives four equations to solve for x, y, z, and [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Since a value for [itex]\lambda[/itex] is not part of the solution, I find it typically best to eliminate [itex]\lambda[/itex] first by dividing one equation by another. Dividing the first equation by the second,
[tex]\frac{yz^2}{xz^2}= \frac{\lambda x}{\lambda y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{y}{x}= \frac{x}{y}[/tex]
so [tex]y^2= x^2[/tex] so y= x or y= -x.
Similarly, dividing the second equation by the third
[tex]\frac{xz^2}{2xyz}= \frac{\lambda y}{\lambda z}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{z}{2y}= \frac{y}{z}[/tex]
[itex]z^2=2y^2[/itex] so [itex]z= \sqrt{2}y[/itex] or [itex]z= -\sqrt{2}y[/itex].

If [itex]x= y[/itex] and [itex]z= \sqrt{2}y= \sqrt{2}x[/itex] then [itex]xyz^2= x(x)(2x^2)= 2x^4= 2[/itex] so x= y= z= 1 or x= y= z= -1.

Do the other possibilities, [itex]y= -x[/itex] and/or [itex]z= -\sqrt{2}y[/itex] in the same way.

What is the distance from the origin to a surface?

The distance from the origin to a surface is the shortest distance between the point (0,0,0) and a point on the surface. It is also known as the radius or length of the perpendicular line segment drawn from the origin to the surface.

How is the distance from the origin to a surface calculated?

The distance from the origin to a surface can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the hypotenuse is the distance from the origin to the surface, and the other two sides are the x and y coordinates of the point on the surface.

What is the significance of the distance from the origin to a surface in geometry?

The distance from the origin to a surface is an important measure in geometry as it helps determine the position of a point in a three-dimensional space. It is also used to calculate the distance between two points on a surface and to find the equation of a circle or sphere.

How does the distance from the origin to a surface relate to the concept of distance in mathematics?

The distance from the origin to a surface is a specific case of the general concept of distance in mathematics. It is the distance between two points in a three-dimensional space, and can be measured using various methods such as the Pythagorean theorem or the distance formula.

Can the distance from the origin to a surface be negative?

No, the distance from the origin to a surface is always a positive value. This is because distance is a measure of how far apart two points are, and cannot be negative. However, the direction of the distance can be positive or negative, depending on the orientation of the surface in relation to the origin.