1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct?)

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1
    distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct???)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the distance from the line x=2+t, y=1+t, z= -(1/2)-(1/2)t to the plane x+2y+6z =10

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    my first attempt ::

by setting t = 0, we get a point on the line, say P :<2,1,-1/2>. the point on the plane, say, S we get if we set y=0, z=0 ==> x= 0. thus the point S on the plane is <10,0,0>.

thus the vector PS = S - P =8i-j+1/2k

vector normal to the plane, n = i+2j+6k

so the distance point P to the plane = |PS.n|/|n| = 9/sqrt(41) unit

my second attempt ::

the vector normal to the line, n1 = i+j-1/2k

the vector normal to the plane, n2 = i+2j+6k

n1.n2 = 0 ==> the two normal are perpendicular ===> the line and the plane are parallel

thus the distance for the line to the plane = sqrt(2^2+1^2+(-1/2)^2) = sqrt(21)/2 unit

WHICH ATTEMPT IS CORRECT SINCE I GOT TWO DIFFERENT ANSWERS??? PLEASE HELP ME...:cry:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct???)

this is not correct n1 = i+j-1/2k is parallel to your line

4. Aug 11, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct???)

This is incorrect. You are trying to use the fact that |PS.n|= |PS||n| cos(theta) but in this case what you get is |PS|, the straight line distance from the point <2, 1, -1/2> to the point <10, 0, 0> While one is a point on the line and the other is a point on the plane, it doesn't follow that this is the shortest possible distance between a point on the line and a point on the plane, which is, by definition, the 'distance between line and plane'.

This is just the distance from (2, 1, -1/2) to (0, 0, 0). It has nothing to do with the plane!

It looks to me like neither is correct. I simply don't follow your "logic".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook