Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct?)

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1
    distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct???)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the distance from the line x=2+t, y=1+t, z= -(1/2)-(1/2)t to the plane x+2y+6z =10

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    my first attempt ::

by setting t = 0, we get a point on the line, say P :<2,1,-1/2>. the point on the plane, say, S we get if we set y=0, z=0 ==> x= 0. thus the point S on the plane is <10,0,0>.

thus the vector PS = S - P =8i-j+1/2k

vector normal to the plane, n = i+2j+6k

so the distance point P to the plane = |PS.n|/|n| = 9/sqrt(41) unit

my second attempt ::

the vector normal to the line, n1 = i+j-1/2k

the vector normal to the plane, n2 = i+2j+6k

n1.n2 = 0 ==> the two normal are perpendicular ===> the line and the plane are parallel

thus the distance for the line to the plane = sqrt(2^2+1^2+(-1/2)^2) = sqrt(21)/2 unit

WHICH ATTEMPT IS CORRECT SINCE I GOT TWO DIFFERENT ANSWERS??? PLEASE HELP ME...:cry:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct???)

this is not correct n1 = i+j-1/2k is parallel to your line

4. Aug 11, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: distance from the line to the plane (which one is correct???)

This is incorrect. You are trying to use the fact that |PS.n|= |PS||n| cos(theta) but in this case what you get is |PS|, the straight line distance from the point <2, 1, -1/2> to the point <10, 0, 0> While one is a point on the line and the other is a point on the plane, it doesn't follow that this is the shortest possible distance between a point on the line and a point on the plane, which is, by definition, the 'distance between line and plane'.

This is just the distance from (2, 1, -1/2) to (0, 0, 0). It has nothing to do with the plane!

It looks to me like neither is correct. I simply don't follow your "logic".

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook