1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance problem, Using Launcher need to find objects distance

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    Hows it going guys, I need to now how to find distance of an object without actually shooting from my launcher. I have that it shoots 518.28 feet per sec ( initial velocity) ends at 0 ft/s (final velocity), that gravity's constant is -32.15 feet/sec2(9.8 meters/sec2), I also have that it shoots at a 45 degree angle and it launches 2.12 feet off the ground, objects weight is .0154 lbs. It feels like I have everything I need to find distance but I keep getting huge numbers. If you could solve this for me or just point me to the formulas that I would need I would greatly appreciate it:tongue: , This is going to help launch a projectile for a project and this formula will save me a lot of time and money
    Thanx again

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

So, you obviously used some formula to get these huge numbers, so, present your work. :cool:

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3
    Here are the formulas
    ΔX= 1/2 (initial velocity in x direction + final velocity) Δtime
    vfx= vix+accelerationΔt
    Δx=viΔt+ 1/2 a (Δt)^2
    vf^2=vi^2+2aΔX

vf= final velocity
    vi=initial velocity
    a= acceleration
    t=time
    Δ= displacement
    You must remember that in an equation vi and vf must be either along the X axis or along the Y axis.

I solved it too
    Each equation can be applied to either the x or the y axis.
    that means
    Δx= vit+1/2at^2 is in the x direction
    Δy=vit+1/2at^2 is in the y direction

Here it is solved
    vi in x direction = 518.28 cos 45
    vi in y direction = 518.28 sin 45

Δy=viΔt+1/2aΔt^2
    -2.12= 366.48Δt-16t^2
    16t^2-366.48t-2.12=0
    Solve for t
    t= 22.9 seconds
    t in y direction = t in x direction

since acceleration = 0 in x direction
    Δx=viΔt
    Δx=366.48*22.9
    Δx ~ 8392.392 ft

That is a long distance. If it's way of, I'm sure there is a problem with you initial velocity. 518.28 ft/s is too much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?