1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distances between Atoms in a Gas Molecule

1. Jul 31, 2006 #1
    How do you calculate the distances between atoms of a given gas molecule? The reason im asking this is so I can find the moment of inertia of certain molecules so i can determine degrees of freedom for a gas at a certain temperature. Is there an easier way to determine them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2006 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

can't gas expand and compress? Wouldn't this imply that there is no absolute distance between atoms in a gas, and that its relative to the pressure and volume?

Just using logic, with no advanced physics training (i'm just starting my third year as a physics undergrad), I'd guess that you could use the ideal gas law:

PV = nRT where P is Pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

you could find out the volume per atom (V/n = RT/P) and derive it from there, i suppose. But I think gases rely on fluid dynamics, which are really complex, and the distance between atoms will be different for different localities within a given 'cloud' of gas.

4. Aug 1, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pythagorean, I think you misunderstood the question. The question was not about the distance between molecules (atoms) in a gas but about the distance between atoms in a single molecule.

I don't see any simple way to answer that- it depends on the type of gas. You might be able to look up distance between atoms for a particular molecule in something like the CRC tables.

5. Aug 1, 2006 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

ah, yes, I see. I think this is a common study in chemistry.

from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_bond/Temp

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?