Distilling 3% Grade Hydrogen Peroxide.

In summary, h2o2 can be boiled at 212F to only boil the water, but it is not safe to do indoors with little ventilation. Boiling h2o2 can produce a dangerous reaction and it is easier and cheaper to buy the desired concentration of 30%. However, some have wondered if low concentrations of h2o2 could be used as a safe way to store energy in a vehicle engine.
Qaiphyx
h2o2 has a boiling point of 300F+ degrees and water is 212F, so if I take a bottle of 3% h2o2 which is diluted with water and boil it at 212F degrees, then it will only boil the water right? But, is it safe to do indoors with little ventilation? What does boiling h2o2 make? I want to make 30% h2o2.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It will be probably easier and cheaper to buy.

Borek said:
It will be probably easier and cheaper to buy.

True but I don't have a location for 30% in the town that I live in, so its easier than going to the city.

Danger! Danger! Run, Will Robinson! You don't have what you need to do this really dangerous thing at home.

I'd just move to the big city...

Sorry for bumping an old post, but the question hasn't really been answered…and I was wondering the same thing. I have no intention of actually trying to concentrate hydrogen peroxide (aka. rocket fuel). It just occurred to me that at low concentrations H2O2 is rather benign and possibly a reasonable way to safely store energy. In a vehicle engine for instance, could it be reduced (boiled) in a just in time fashion to produce the more extreme reaction of high concentrations? Is there enough energy there to warrant carrying the excess water? …likely not ;) …But interesting to think about.

1. What is 3% grade hydrogen peroxide?

3% grade hydrogen peroxide is a solution that contains 3% hydrogen peroxide and 97% water. It is commonly used in household and medical settings for disinfection and wound cleaning.

2. How is 3% grade hydrogen peroxide produced?

3% grade hydrogen peroxide is typically produced by adding water to a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide, usually 35%. This dilution process creates a solution that is safe for use on the skin and in household cleaning.

3. What are the uses of 3% grade hydrogen peroxide?

3% grade hydrogen peroxide has many uses, including disinfecting wounds, cleaning surfaces, and removing stains from clothing. It is also commonly used as a mouthwash or as a whitening agent for teeth.

4. Is 3% grade hydrogen peroxide safe to use?

3% grade hydrogen peroxide is generally safe to use, but it can cause skin irritation and should not be ingested. It is important to follow the instructions for use and handle it with care to avoid any potential hazards.

5. How should 3% grade hydrogen peroxide be stored?

3% grade hydrogen peroxide should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is also important to keep it out of reach of children and pets. Once opened, it should be used within a few months for maximum effectiveness.