Distorting force vs restoring force in springs?

In summary, in the conversation, the speaker talks about learning about springs and the concepts of restoring and distorting force. They mention an experiment they did with a spring and weights, and discuss their understanding that the distorting force stretches the spring while the restoring force brings it back to equilibrium. They question why the two forces are equal, and wonder about the role of the spring constant in restoring the spring. They also ask if the restoring force is an actual force acting on the spring.
Josh114
Awhile back, I was learning about springs, and restoring/distorting force. We even did an experiment where we hung a spring and put weights on it and pulling it down, watching it oscillate.
From this, I assumed the distorting force was the force that stretched the spring and restoring force is the force that restores the spring to equilibrium. I remember someone mentioning that the distorting force and restoring force are equal, however I can't quite understand why they would be equal unless the spring is not stretched. Here's my idea: If the spring is stretching, the distorting force>restoring force and when the spring is returning to its equilibrium position distorting force<restoring force and finally when the spring is not moving .<<----Are these assumptions correct??My other question is why does the restoring force = spring constant of the spring?? What role does the spring constant have in restoring the spring back to equilibrium? Is the restoring force an actual force acting on the spring?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Josh114 said:
Awhile back, I was learning about springs, and restoring/distorting force. We even did an experiment where we hung a spring and put weights on it and pulling it down, watching it oscillate.
From this, I assumed the distorting force was the force that stretched the spring and restoring force is the force that restores the spring to equilibrium. I remember someone mentioning that the distorting force and restoring force are equal, however I can't quite understand why they would be equal unless the spring is not stretched. Here's my idea: If the spring is stretching, the distorting force>restoring force and when the spring is returning to its equilibrium position distorting force<restoring force and finally when the spring is not moving .<<----Are these assumptions correct??My other question is why does the restoring force = spring constant of the spring?? What role does the spring constant have in restoring the spring back to equilibrium? Is the restoring force an actual force acting on the spring?
Thanks.
First of all distorting force is not equal to restoring force
Josh114 said:
Thanks.
When we calculate the potential energy of the spring at any point we try to maintain that force applied by the spring and the force applied by external agent(distorting force) must be equal so that there is no acceleration. We first apply a greater force just bigger than the restoring force and then we apply equal force as the restoring force for calculating the potential of spring at any point. Otherwise you are correct that the distorting force is greater than the restoring force. And when spring goes to mean position the restoring force is greater than the distorting force.

Now spring constant is not equal to the restoring force its just a constant which tells more the value of spring constant (k) more will be difficult to pull it from its equilibrium position.

1. What is a distorting force in a spring?

A distorting force in a spring refers to an external force that causes the spring to deform or change its shape from its original state. This could be due to stretching, compressing, or twisting the spring.

2. What is a restoring force in a spring?

A restoring force in a spring is the force that acts in the opposite direction of the distorting force, attempting to restore the spring to its original shape. This force is a result of the elastic properties of the spring.

3. How are distorting force and restoring force related in a spring?

The relationship between distorting force and restoring force in a spring is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the restoring force is directly proportional to the amount of deformation caused by the distorting force. This means that the greater the distorting force, the greater the restoring force will be.

4. What factors affect the distorting force and restoring force in a spring?

The distorting force and restoring force in a spring are influenced by several factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the amount of deformation, and the type of force applied (e.g. tension, compression, or torsion).

5. How can distorting force and restoring force be measured in a spring?

Distorting force and restoring force can be measured using a force gauge or a spring scale. These devices can accurately measure the amount of force needed to deform the spring and the force exerted by the spring to return to its original shape. The units of measurement for these forces are typically in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).