1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distribution function of an ideal gas

1. Nov 18, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I have the following problem to solve:

Consider a planet of radius [itex]R[/itex] and mass [itex]M[/itex]. The plante's atmosphere is an ideal gas of [itex]N[/itex] particles of mass [itex]m[/itex] at temperature [itex]T[/itex]. Find the equilibrium distribution function of the gas accounting for the gas itself and the gravitationnal potential of the planet.

Here are my thoughts

The equilibrium function of the gas alone is simply the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution function [itex]f_0(\mathbf{v})[/itex], so the full distribution is just
    [tex]
    f(\vec{v})=f_0(\vec{v})e^{-U/kT}
    [/tex]
    where
    [tex]
    U=-\frac{GMm}{r}
    [/tex]
    is the gravitational potential and [itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the center of the planet to the molecule of velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. I'm not sure if I should replace [itex]r[/itex] by [itex]r-R[/itex] in [itex]U[/itex].

Can anyone confirm if I'm right or not?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The gas molecules can't penetrate into the surface of the planet, so it makes sense for your model to be described by a potential which is
    [tex]
    U(r) = - \frac{GMm}{r} \,\,\, r > R
    [/tex]
    and [tex] U = \infty [/tex] for [tex] r < R [/tex].

4. Nov 18, 2005 #3
    OK, but is the distribution function OK?

5. Nov 18, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is the correct one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?