Expectation value of potential energy of Ideal gas

In summary, the question asks for the expectation value of the potential energy of a large column of gas with insulating walls standing on Earth's surface, at room temperature and L high. Assuming the potential energy is only due to gravity, the distribution function used is P(x) = p0e^(-Cx/T0), where C = gM/R and M is the molar mass of dry air. The system is at equilibrium, meaning temperature and kinetic energy are constant. The potential energy is then calculated by integrating U P(x) from -∞ to ∞ and from 0 to 10, with p(x) being proportional to P(x). The equipartition theorem is not applicable in this scenario.
Guffie

Homework Statement

Say you have a large column of gas with insulating walls standing on the Earth's surface, which is L high and at room temperature (25degC) at the interface of the surface and column. Assuming the potential energy on the gas is only duel to gravity, U = mgx where x is the altitude of the gas, what's the expectation value of the potential energy?

Homework Equations

U = mgx
<f(x)> = int_{a,b} P(x) f(x) dx where P(x) is the distribution function

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble finding the correct distribution function for the potential energy.

I thought it would be the Maxwell-Boltzman distribution, but that is only in terms of momentum and velocity really,

There is a distribution for Energy itself but I'm not sure that it what I should be using?

Could anyone point me to the correct distribution function for this question?

After finding it the answer is just

<U>=mg int_{0,10} P(x) x dx

Right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how pressure depends on the height?
Hint: every part of the column has to be in an equilibrium of forces.

Pressure and density are proportional to each other (for an ideal gas).

Sorry, i should have also noted that the question states "don't base your solution from already known knowledge of the conditions of the Earth's atmosphere."

I have going with this distribution function so far..

c7bd5e6b3a5796aeaa091de2c7a6987b.png

but it was derived using p^2 = 2mE, which is the kinetic energy..

To answer your questin,

p = p0e^(-Cx/T0) where C = gM/R, M being the molar mass of dry air and R the gas constant.

which is also the pressure inside the column (but i think I'm supposed to stick to the general distribution function method)

Also, when the entire system is at equilibrium that implies that dT = 0, i.e. the temperature and hence the kinetic energy/velocity are constant right?

Sorry, I'm having trouble seeing how this will relate to the averaged potential energy (mgx)
I'm not sure if we're supposed to be using this result for the pressure of the Earth's atmosphere, i think we're supposed to just integrate U P(x), but I'm not 100% sure what the P(x) will be here

edit:
i think I'm going to have to use the equipartition theorem,

Last edited:
Guffie said:
Sorry, i should have also noted that the question states "don't base your solution from already known knowledge of the conditions of the Earth's atmosphere."
=> you have to calculate pressure as function of height yourself.
I don't think the velocity distribution helps here.

p = p0e^(-Cx/T0) where C = gM/R, M being the molar mass of dry air and R the gas constant.
That looks like a good approach.

Also, when the entire system is at equilibrium that implies that dT = 0, i.e. the temperature and hence the kinetic energy/velocity are constant right?
Right

Sorry, I'm having trouble seeing how this will relate to the averaged potential energy (mgx)
I'm not sure if we're supposed to be using this result for the pressure of the Earth's atmosphere, i think we're supposed to just integrate U P(x), but I'm not 100% sure what the P(x) will be here
P(x) allows to calculate rho(x), and this gives the total potential energy of the column via an integration.

edit:
i think I'm going to have to use the equipartition theorem,
?

sorry I am pretty sure i can't use this result in answering the question,

p = p0e^(-Cx/T_0)

I think maybe you may have mixed up p the pressure and P(x) the distribution, which is what i was trying to find

what i have been looking for was this

<U> = (int_{-∞,∞} int_{0,10} dp dx U e^(-β E(p,x) )/Z

Z being the partition function, int_{-∞,∞} int_{0,10} dp dx e^(-β E(p,x)

P(x) and p(x) are proportional to each other, they just differ by some normalization factor.

I am quite sure that thermodynamics beyond the ideal gas law is not required (or useful).

What is the expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas?

The expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas is the average potential energy that a single particle in the gas would have if measured multiple times. It takes into account all possible positions and interactions of the particles within the gas.

How is the expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas calculated?

The expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas is calculated by taking the integral of the potential energy function over all possible positions and velocities of the gas particles. This integral is then divided by the total number of particles in the gas.

Why is the expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas important?

The expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas is important because it provides a way to predict the average potential energy of a single particle in the gas. This can be used to understand the behavior of the gas and make predictions about its properties.

How does the expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas relate to temperature?

According to the equipartition theorem, the expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. This means that as the temperature increases, so does the expectation value of potential energy.

Can the expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of potential energy of an ideal gas can be negative. This occurs when the potential energy function has regions with negative values, such as in the case of attractive forces between gas particles. However, the overall expectation value of potential energy is usually positive due to the repulsive forces between particles at close distances.