Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence and convergence question

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    Is the sum of 2 divergent series Ʃ(an±bn) divergent? From what I have learned is that it is not always divergent. Is this true? I believe that is what the picture i included is saying, but i maybe miss interpreting it. Also, is the product of 2 divergent series divergent or convergent?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simplest example for the sum is an = -bn.

For the product case let an = bn = 1/n. ∑1/n diverges, ∑1/n2 converges.

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    Sorry I don't quite understand the sum example. Is the sum of 2 divergent series always divergent? Yes or no? Thanks.

5. Dec 16, 2011 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The sum of two divergent series may be convergent or divergent. My example is a case of convergent. It is easy to construct other cases (an=bn) where it is divergent.

6. Dec 16, 2011 #5
    Oh i understand the sum part, but I think the product of two divergent series is also divergent.
    Because when you say that Ʃ1/n*Ʃ1/n is convergent you are missing an important rule Ʃan*Ʃbn≠ Ʃ(an*bn) so you can't apply your second example to the product of two divergent series. For multiplication of series is are like multiplying infinite quantities
    such as (a_1+a_2+a_3)*(b_1+b_2+b_3) you have to distribute each term to each term and simplify. Thus Ʃan*Ʃbn≠ Ʃ(an*bn), which you made the assumption in your example.

I could be wrong, but this is what I have read.

7. Dec 17, 2011 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are taking a product of two divergent series, it will always be divergent. However I thought you meant term by term product, not simply taking two numbers (the sums) and multiplying together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook