Divergence theorem/vector calculus

In summary, the Divergence Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the volume integral of its divergence over a closed region in three-dimensional space. Its significance lies in its ability to simplify difficult surface integrals and make them easier to solve. It is derived from the fundamental theorem of calculus and the definition of the divergence of a vector field. The practical applications of the Divergence Theorem include calculating fluid flow rates, electric field flux, and gravitational forces, and it is also used in mathematical models for weather forecasting and fluid dynamics. However, it has limitations as it can only be applied to closed surfaces and requires the vector field to be continuous and differentiable over the region of interest
t_n_p

Homework Statement

I want to show that:

Grad dot product with r = 2/r

where:
r is the unit vector r/r
r = xi + yj + zk
r is magnitude of r

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer should be 3/r

since unit vector r = r/r,
r = (x/r)i + (y/r)j + (z/r)k

then when I do grad dot r I should get (1/r) + (1/r) + (1/r) = (3/r)

what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are ignoring the fact that r=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) and so r depends on x, y and z.

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the volume integral of its divergence over a closed region in three-dimensional space.

2. What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is significant because it allows us to relate a difficult surface integral to a simpler volume integral, making it easier to solve certain problems in physics and engineering.

3. How is the Divergence Theorem derived?

The Divergence Theorem is derived from the fundamental theorem of calculus and the definition of the divergence of a vector field. By breaking down the surface integral into small pieces and applying the definition of the divergence, we can prove that the two integrals are equivalent.

4. What are the practical applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating fluid flow rates, electric field flux, and gravitational forces. It is also used in mathematical models for weather forecasting and fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is only applicable to closed surfaces and cannot be used for open surfaces. Additionally, the vector field in question must be continuous and differentiable over the region of interest. If these conditions are not met, the Divergence Theorem may not be applicable.