1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergent Harmonic Series, Convergent P-Series (Cauchy sequences)

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Show that [itex]\sum \frac 1n[/itex] is not convergent by showing that the partial sums are not a Cauchy sequence
    (b) Show that [itex]\sum \frac 1{n^2}[/itex] is convergent by showing that the partial sums form a Cauchy sequence

2. Relevant equations
    Given epsilon>0, a sequence is Cauchy if there exists an N such that [itex]|a_m-a_n|<\epsilon[/itex] for every m,n>N.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part (a), the sequence terms are [itex]a_n=1+1/2+\ldots+1/n[/itex], so assuming that m>n,

Now, if I take epsilon=1/2 and suppose that m>n>N implies that the distance between two elements is less than epsilon. But m=2n>n>N gives the difference to be 1, which is greater than epsilon, so the sequence is not Cauchy. I think I've gotten this half - am I correct??

For part (b), I'm not sure how to do it. The sequence terms are [itex]a_n=1+1/2^2+\ldots+1/n^2[/itex], so again assuming that m>n, we have

I want to be able to find N such that m>n>N implies that this difference is less than epsilon, right? To do that, since I've assumed that m>n, if I can eliminate m from the expression, I'm good to go, but I can't figure out how to do it. Help!
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2
    I'm grasping at straws here, but I want to show that [itex]m/n^2<\epsilon[/itex]. So I can say, since [itex]n<m[/itex], that [itex]n/n^2=1/n<m/n^2<\epsilon[/itex].

I know this probably isn't right, but if anybody could give me a hand it'd be appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?