Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergent Integral and Mathematica

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to calculate a double integral, in Mathematica it could be denoted

Integrate[(x*y)/(x*y-m2/s2),{x,0,1},{y,0,1-x}]

That is,

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{xy}{(xy-m^{2}/s^{2})}[/tex]dydx with boundaries y=0,y=1-x and x=0,x=1. m and s are constants, of course.

Now, I get some fairly crazy-looking and unhelpful results for the y-integral from Mathematica but I simply used a table of integrals and plugging in obtained

1-x+[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}}[/tex]*Ln|x-x^{2}-[tex]\frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}}[/tex]|

Now of course when I integrate this from x=0 to x=1 then I have a problem as x goes to 0. Someone suggested using interpolation somehow but I know very little about that and don't see if this is where to apply it. I don't think the integral should be infinite - perhaps the y-integral was wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2
    I should have had a denominator of m^2/s^2 in the log there, or subtracted a log|^2/s^2|.

Anyway, that is not the problem...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?