Divided by highest term in numerator limit

• Thread starter whatlifeforme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Term
In summary, the given problem is looking for the limit of a fraction as x approaches infinity. In order to solve this, the highest term in both the numerator and denominator must be factored out. Dividing by 4^x did not lead to a solution, but dividing by 3^x did, resulting in a limit of 0.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

evaluate.

Homework Equations

lim[itex]\displaystyle _{x->∞} \frac{2^x - 3^x}{3^x + 4^x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried diving by highest term in denominator (4^x), but got me no where.

the solution manual has: (divided by highest term in numerator.)with the answer is zero which i don't know how.

lim[itex]_{x->∞}\displaystyle \frac{(\frac{2}{3})^x - 1}{1 + (\frac{4}{3})^x}[/itex] = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

evaluate.

Homework Equations

the solution manual has: (divided by highest term in numerator.)with the answer is zero which i don't know how.

lim[itex]_{x->∞}\displaystyle \frac{\frac{2^x}{3^x} - 1}{1 + \frac{4^x}{3^x}}[/itex] = 0

Factor 3x out of the numerator and factor 4x out of the denominator.

whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

evaluate.

Homework Equations

lim[itex]_{x->∞}\displaystyle \frac{\frac{2^x}{3^x} - 1}{1 + \frac{4^x}{3^x}}[/itex] = 0

Why didn't dividing by 4^x get you anywhere?

1. What is the definition of "Divided by highest term in numerator limit"?

The "Divided by highest term in numerator limit" refers to a mathematical concept in which the value of a function is calculated as the numerator approaches a certain value, typically infinity, and the denominator is divided by the highest power term in the numerator.

2. Why is the "Divided by highest term in numerator limit" important in mathematics?

This limit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function as it approaches extreme values. It allows us to determine the overall trend of the function and make predictions about its behavior.

3. How is the "Divided by highest term in numerator limit" different from other types of limits?

The "Divided by highest term in numerator limit" is different from other types of limits because it specifically focuses on the highest power term in the numerator, rather than the entire numerator or denominator. This allows us to simplify the calculation and make it easier to understand the overall behavior of the function.

4. What are some real-life applications of the "Divided by highest term in numerator limit"?

The "Divided by highest term in numerator limit" is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of systems at extreme values. It is also used in economics and finance to make predictions about the growth or decline of a certain variable.

5. How can one solve a limit involving the "Divided by highest term in numerator limit"?

To solve a limit involving the "Divided by highest term in numerator limit", one can use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression. This involves factoring out the highest power term and canceling out common factors. Then, the limit can be evaluated by plugging in the value that the numerator approaches.