Dividing differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to get an expression for X(T) by dividing two second order differential equations. The equations are explicitly stated and the attempt at a solution involves expressing the second order derivative as a fraction and cancelling out the 'da' parts. The final result for X(T) is an exponential function.
Hybird

Homework Statement

This is more of a problem I have with my knowledge of differentials. I have two second order differential equations for variables X(a) and T(a). I want to get an expression for X(T). I know I have to divide them, but how do you go about dividing them if they are explicitly stated as:

eqn1: [tex]\frac{d^{2}X}{da^{2}}[/tex] = Some polynomial

and,

eqn2: [tex]\frac{d^{2}T}{da^{2}}[/tex] = Some polynomial

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for first derivative with respect to 'a', you can just divide them directly and the 'da' part will just cancel, but what would you get for a second derivative?

Example of first derivative would be:

dX/da divided by dT/da would equal dX/dT, and you could just solve the resulting simple differential equation to get X(T).

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, maybe I should give the RHS of the equations too..

eqn1: [tex]\frac{d^{2}X}{da^{2}}[/tex] = -X [tex]\frac{dT}{da}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dT}{da}}[/tex]

eqn2: [tex]\frac{d^{2}T}{da^{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-2}{X^{2}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dX}{da}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dT}{da}}[/tex]

Never mind, I'm retarded. I just expressed the second order derivative as :

d/da(dX/da) and when you divide it by d/da(dT/da) the d/da part cancels because its just like an operator. I got an exponential result as X(T) = exp(T/sqrt(2))

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives. It describes how the rate of change of a variable is related to the value of the variable itself.

2. Why is it important to divide differential equations?

Dividing differential equations allows us to solve for the specific solution of a problem, rather than just finding the general solution. This is useful in modeling real-world phenomena and predicting future behavior.

3. How do you divide a differential equation?

To divide a differential equation, we use separation of variables. This involves isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation, then integrating both sides to find the solution.

4. Can all differential equations be divided?

No, not all differential equations can be divided. Some equations are non-linear or have complex forms that cannot be solved through division. In these cases, other methods such as numerical methods or approximation techniques may be used.

5. What are some applications of dividing differential equations?

Dividing differential equations have numerous applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are used to model and analyze systems with changing variables, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.