1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dividing differential equations

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is more of a problem I have with my knowledge of differentials. I have two second order differential equations for variables X(a) and T(a). I want to get an expression for X(T). I know I have to divide them, but how do you go about dividing them if they are explicitly stated as:

eqn1: [tex]\frac{d^{2}X}{da^{2}}[/tex] = Some polynomial

and,

eqn2: [tex]\frac{d^{2}T}{da^{2}}[/tex] = Some polynomial

3. The attempt at a solution

I know for first derivative with respect to 'a', you can just divide them directly and the 'da' part will just cancel, but what would you get for a second derivative?

Example of first derivative would be:

dX/da divided by dT/da would equal dX/dT, and you could just solve the resulting simple differential equation to get X(T).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2
    Ok, maybe I should give the RHS of the equations too..

eqn1: [tex]\frac{d^{2}X}{da^{2}}[/tex] = -X [tex]\frac{dT}{da}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dT}{da}}[/tex]

eqn2: [tex]\frac{d^{2}T}{da^{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-2}{X^{2}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dX}{da}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dT}{da}}[/tex]

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3
    Never mind, I'm retarded. I just expressed the second order derivative as :

d/da(dX/da) and when you divide it by d/da(dT/da) the d/da part cancels because its just like an operator. I got an exponential result as X(T) = exp(T/sqrt(2))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook