DIY Electron Smasher: Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation revolved around the planning and construction of a particle accelerator using electrons. The original plan was to use copper piping, but it was suggested that a glass tube would be more suitable. Questions were raised about the use of detectors for energy and the availability of glass tubes. Safety concerns were also addressed, with a reminder that constructing a more advanced accelerator would not be safe or allowed to be discussed on the forum.
Blackhawk4560
Hello,

Myself, along with some colleagues are planning, designing, and going to be constructing a particle accelerator. For now, we will be using electrons. Eventually we may look into using ionized hydrogen atoms (I.e. Protons), and switching the polarity of the magnets from + to -, but for now, we are using electrons as ammo so to speak. I have a few specific questions, to anyone who can answer,

1. What can be used as a detector for energy? What other detectors could prove useful? I really can't ask anything to specific, as I'm not sure what question to ask on this one- just anything to provide useful and or cool data.

2. Basic question, Where can We get glass tube? We were originally planning on copper piping, but the magnets probably will not go through properly. There are a series (well, 2 episodes) of a private DIY accelerator. He is using a glass tube that looks something like he has in mind.
Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry that formatted weirdly, I'm on my phone :)

Also, don't worry about safety- we are not using much more than 12 volt equipment (car battery level power)

Thanks in advance,Yours in Science,
Blackhawk

What do you plan to accomplish if you're only using 12 volts?

Quantity of electromagnets over their individual power, really- I haven't worked with electromagnets much before, and we are planning several experiments to get some basic formulas before building the machine

Yours in Science,
Blackhawk

As an accelerator physicist, let me just say that what you intending to do (including your intention that you stated in an earlier thread) cannot be done and should not be done with the level of understanding that you have exhibited.

If you wish to construct a simple "electron accelerator", such as those in an evacuated glass tube or CRT tube, then there are already threads either in the General Physics forum or Classical Physics forum that described what you will need. Anything beyond that, it is no longer safe, and it is no longer a topic allowed to be discussed in this forum, per the PF Rules.

Zz.

1. What is a DIY Electron Smasher?

A DIY Electron Smasher is a device that uses high voltage electricity to accelerate electrons to high speeds, creating collisions with other particles. This allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How does a DIY Electron Smasher work?

A DIY Electron Smasher works by using a high voltage power supply to generate an electric field. This field accelerates electrons towards a target, where they collide with other particles. The resulting energy from these collisions can be measured and analyzed.

3. What materials are needed to build a DIY Electron Smasher?

Some common materials needed to build a DIY Electron Smasher include a high voltage power supply, a vacuum chamber, a target material, and various electronic components such as capacitors and resistors. It also requires specialized tools and safety equipment.

4. Is it safe to build and operate a DIY Electron Smasher?

Building and operating a DIY Electron Smasher can be dangerous and should only be done by experienced scientists or under strict supervision. The high voltage electricity and vacuum conditions involved can be hazardous if not properly handled. Safety precautions and training are necessary to ensure safe operation.

5. What are the benefits of building a DIY Electron Smasher?

Building a DIY Electron Smasher allows scientists to conduct experiments and research on particle physics in a more affordable and accessible way. It also provides a hands-on learning experience for students and DIY enthusiasts interested in this field of science.