Custom building a CNC mill for aluminum

In summary, it is difficult to make a mill from scratch, but it is possible with the right tools and knowledge. A mill is useful for cutting softer metals like aluminum, but it is also difficult to make and requires a lot of work.
JoeSalerno
So as a quick background I've made a 3-d printer (I know a monkey could assemble one of those DIY prusas) and want to step up my game a little bit.

I came to the realization that some people have made/sold DIY milling kits, but most of them are for plastics or wood. I would like to make a small 1.5'x1.5'x10" mill that has the capability to cut softer metals like aluminum. I thought about just changing the tool and bit on one of these machines, but I'm not sure that'll work, let alone having to scale up their designs.

I guess my real question here is, how difficult would it be to make a mill, as opposed to building a 3-d printer? I have no problem cutting out pieces to make an acrylic frame with a laser cutter just like a 3-d printer, but from seeing other's design's, aluminum frames seem to be used because a higher level of rigidity is needed.

My main issue here is, what would I do for the electronics and rotary piece? Would it be possible to use a Dremel mount or something like that? It's probably easy to tell I'm really quite inexperienced in this, but I'm just asking to get my feet wet here. Any advice will be very much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeSalerno said:
I guess my real question here is, how difficult would it be to make a mill, as opposed to building a 3-d printer?
Making a mill from scratch is a real challenge. The easiest way is to buy a used mill, then replace the lead screws with new ball screws.

One problem is knowing what you will use it for. How many degrees of freedom does the cutting head require. If you can make what you want in a mill then you can automate that mill. For aluminium there are single cut carbide burrs that cut fast with a good finish.

David J. Gingery wrote a series of DIY books beginning in the early 1980s on how to build machine tools from scratch. As @Baluncore has observed, doing so is a lot of work; Gingery's books will give you an idea of just how much.

http://gingerybooks.com/

Likes Craftek_Ana and jim hardy
As I understand it one of the problems is rigidity or rather a lack of it and it's effect on accuracy. Unlike a printer the cutting tool has to press quite hard on the work piece and that can cause the machine to bend and reduce accuracy. It's why many CNC machines are big solid lumps. You also have to work to eliminate any backlash in the drive mechanism.

CWatters said:
Unlike a printer the cutting tool has to press quite hard on the work piece and that can cause the machine to bend and reduce accuracy.

This is certainly true, but I'd like to emphasize that this is a dynamic bending problem, otherwise known as a vibration problem. It is lot more difficult to handle than just a static bending problem.

Likes CWatters
Likes Dr.D

1. How does a custom-built CNC mill differ from a standard one?

Custom-built CNC mills are specifically designed and tailored to meet the user's specific needs and requirements. They often have unique features, specialized components, and advanced software capabilities that are not found in standard mills.

2. What are the advantages of using a custom-built CNC mill for aluminum?

Custom-built CNC mills for aluminum offer several advantages, such as increased precision, faster production speeds, and the ability to handle larger and more complex projects. They also allow for greater control and customization of the milling process, resulting in higher quality and more accurate finished products.

3. How do you determine the specifications for a custom-built CNC mill for aluminum?

The specifications for a custom-built CNC mill for aluminum are determined based on the specific needs and requirements of the user. This can include factors such as the size and thickness of the aluminum being milled, the desired speed and precision, and any additional features or capabilities that are needed.

4. Can a custom-built CNC mill be used for other materials besides aluminum?

Yes, a custom-built CNC mill can be used for a variety of materials besides aluminum. The specifications and components of the mill can be adjusted to accommodate different materials, such as wood, plastic, and steel. However, it is important to ensure that the mill is properly calibrated and programmed for each specific material.

5. How long does it take to build a custom CNC mill for aluminum?

The time it takes to build a custom CNC mill for aluminum can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the availability of materials and components. It typically takes several weeks to several months to design, assemble, and test a custom-built mill. However, this timeframe can also be shortened if the mill is being built from pre-existing designs or if standard components are being used.