Do any of you use Linux? If so, which distribution?

In summary: Fedora. I like Fedora the best, but I've also had good experiences with Ubuntu and OpenSuse.In summary, linux is a widely used Operating System that many people find to be more user friendly than Windows. Some distributions are more user friendly than others, but all offer a well-balanced environment. It is important to read The Linux Command Line before attempting to use Linux, as there are many hidden intricacies involved.
What will you be doing exactly that you want to use Tails? Tails is usually a minimal installation and if you want user friendly, you need a UI. Linux can go two ways: lay users and power users. Lay users just want it to replace Windows for them, but give them most of the same tools. Power users often don't even install a GUI. Since you mention web browsing, Gimp, and Audacity, Ubuntu would probably be best for you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I record audio professionally, bands and such and use windows 7 on a Thinkpad with Cakewalk sonar platinum DAW and wavelab and some nice I/O's

I use a Tascam 16-08 I/O and it requires windows or mac. Are there linux versions that have audio DAW's as powerful and versitile as what I already have? Also, what about audio I/O's like my Tascam? Are there any ready for linux. That 16-08 is really great, 8 XLR mic ins,preamps and limiter/compressor, 2 more instrument ins on 1/4 inch jacks and fiber inputs and outs also. Anything close to that for linux? What I have now is powerful and stable but would like to squeeze the most capability out of the CPU's onboard and such.

newjerseyrunner said:
Ubuntu would probably be best for you.
That's what my brother uses and he likes it a lot. However, I still think security is a valid concern. He says he doesn't worry about it because he's not running Windows anymore, but from what I read there can still be security problems with Linux. Maybe running Ubuntu through Tor directly would be the most user friendly/secure method?

Rubidium_71 said:
That's what my brother uses and he likes it a lot. However, I still think security is a valid concern. He says he doesn't worry about it because he's not running Windows anymore, but from what I read there can still be security problems with Linux. Maybe running Ubuntu through Tor directly would be the most user friendly/secure method?

Changing your habits would be the best method.
And using Tor to visit anything is useless if your habits aren't adjusted as well.

Likes Jozape
Rubidium_71 said:

You seem to be equivalating anonymity with security. That is a false equivalence. Anonymity is a form of security, but it's only one form, and you won't have much anonymity with Tails and Tor if you don't use them correctly.

JorisL said:
Changing your habits would be the best method.
And using Tor to visit anything is useless if your habits aren't adjusted as well.
I don't recall mentioning any of my "habits." I'm not sure what you're assuming about me there.

Jozape said:
You seem to be equivalating anonymity with security. That is a false equivalence. Anonymity is a form of security, but it's only one form, and you won't have much anonymity with Tails and Tor if you don't use them correctly.
That was the reason I asked the question in this thread, I was curious what the actual advantages might be to using Tails, Qubes or something similar. I didn't intend to equivocate anonymity with security as an absolute. My experience with Ubuntu is very limited and I have no experience with Tor at all, just a few things I've read.

Thanks for the input, I'll obviously have to do some more research on the subject.

Rubidium_71 said:
I don't recall mentioning any of my "habits." I'm not sure what you're assuming about me there.
That was the reason I asked the question in this thread, I was curious what the actual advantages might be to using Tails, Qubes or something similar. I didn't intend to equivocate anonymity with security as an absolute. My experience with Ubuntu is very limited and I have no experience with Tor at all, just a few things I've read.
Thanks for the input, I'll obviously have to do some more research on the subject.

Qubes and Tails aren't really meant for the same task.

Qubes focuses on providing security by spearating activities you do into specific containers and preventing each container from ever interacting with each other. It will be up to you to separate your activities into containers and then add the programs you wish to use to those containers. Then ensure that you stick to that segregation of activities for it to be effective. If something goes wrong with one container, it will not affect your applications/data in another. For example: if you make one VM for banking and finance, and another for surfing the internet, then getting infected on the internet VM won't compromise your banking/financial data. On a normal system everything would be compromised.

Tails on the other hand is focused on providing privacy while surfing on the internet. It runs off a Live disk and entirely on RAM so it leaves no evidence that it was ever run on a system. I wouldn't call Tails a security related distribution (depends on how you define the term really, for me security and privacy are distinct domains), it's geared towards trying to protect your identity on the internet. It does things like use Tor to protect your source IP, it spoofs its responses to servers to make it appear like it's a windows system and not linux, etc.
To use it effectively, you will have to make sure that you don't really do anything that you have done on regular internet while on Tails and vice versa. Otherwise, its pointless. Remember, companies/governments already have a very accurate profile of your internet behaviours so switching to Tor and then still going to your same 5 fav sites isn't going to really protect your identity.

With respect for to your desire for greater security: The overwhelming majority of malware on the internet is built for Windows. Windows binaries do not work on linux so they are all harmless. Switching to any Linux distribution will make you much safer simply by the virtue that it's not Windows.
That said, it's not immune to being attacked as evidenced by the recent Dirty COW vulnerability that was discovered in the linux kernel. Using Qubes will provide more security for a user as it will effectively isolate the compromised portion of the system and prevent any of your other activities from being affected. But behaviours count. Let's say your internet VM is compromised and your physics forum password stolen. If you are using the same password on your banking site, then Qubes will not protect you. This is what I believe the others meant by habits.

Likes Rubidium_71 and QuantumQuest
@Routaran

Thanks very much for the detailed info and clarification. This is exactly what I was looking for. :)

There is Raspberry Pi Pixel OS Beta (Debian Jessie based) for x86 Pc and Mac, I have be using it on old hardware and it flys granted its only on a USB stick ATM.
I use Ubuntu 14.04 with a ThinLinc server on an old Quad core, like Ms terminal service except Free for upto 10 users.
I also use Debian 8.6 Jessie 32 bit in low end clouds run various things, saves me money on the power bill.
The best thing I like is all the commands work thru different flavors...Not like Mr tumble dry..
Win 10 on old notebook = 12 hours of thrashing my HDD.

I was Ubuntu user 2 years back but my experience was not good.

I do. I have dual booted Fedora 27 and Windows 10. I find my self always selecting Fedora from the grub menu, because it feels so smooth and refined, even though the battery life is not good. On windows 10, in general usage, I get around 8 hours of battery on my laptop, but on Fedora, same usage gives me only around 6 or 5.5 hours of battery life. But the upcoming Fedora 28 version is going to come up with built in power optimizations and I'm looking forward to it.
(I'm by no means an experienced linux user, I'm a newbie).
My first linux distro was Ubuntu, don't remember the version. I dual booted it with windows 7 on my old Pentium 4 desktop computer which is now is pieces. Then, many months ago I dual booted Ubunto 17.04 on my laptop with windows 10. Then, about 2 weeks ago, decided to try Fedora and dual booted the 27 with windows 10.(Removed ubuntu).
I like Fedora better than Ubuntu for some unknown reason. I hope to install the Ubuntu 18.04 which is coming later this month on my laptop so that it would be a triple boot, such that I have something from Red hat and something from Debian and something from Microsoft.
I really like to get rid of windows once and forever, but I need it for my studies as I need to use Visual Studio and other windows stuff. Besides, the greater battery life doesn't let me remove windows. ;-)

Rereading this thread has reminded me of some of the flavors of Linux I forgot existed. So to get to it, I used Mandrake in the early 2000's then switched to RedHat. I then got away from the whole 'nix thing for a while because we totally switched to Windows at work. I did screw around with Ubuntu the really dropped back to Windows full time at home.

For the past year, the two places I worked (one of the major aerospace companies and the other is an division of the government) one uses Redhat, the other Debian 8 (the guy in the group refuses to upgrade because of his complete paranoia against change, i.e. if he was 30 years younger he'd be diagnosed with Asperger syndrome). Anyway, I had to re-learn my Linux skills so I started with Manjaro, but was unhappy with it and I messed around with updating an old notebook to Debian so I had a machine at my house as opposed to my apartment (I am a geographic bachelor) and that went quick and easy so I just reloaded my other box with Debian 9 and am in the process of getting everything loaded and running. One of my co-workers is big into GNU Radio, so he helps me when I get stuck which isn't often. My supervisor is a whiz at it, he runs everything from the command line and knows more than most. I never worked over multiple systems, just on a dedicated machine/cluster and he just spouted off rsync commands like they were second nature, not to mention writes, compiles and debugs FORTRAN code from the command line (we argue who wins the nerd contest every month, usually it is him).

Switching is easy, but if you run Windows software and are used to it, you need two boxes (I never am able to get a dual boot running).

Dr Transport said:
I never am able to get a dual boot running.
Why?. Even on UEFI, it shouldn't be that hard.

HyperTechno said:
Why?. Even on UEFI, it shouldn't be that hard.
It's not, but the last couple of times I did it wasn't that easy and I dorked up my system that I was trying to install next too...