Do Fresnel equations apply to monochromatic light at 420 nm?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
XLAYZ
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have a monochromatic light source (wavelength ~ 420 nm), which will be incident on the interface of two different media. Could someone please explain if the Fresnel equations applies with monochromatic light when estimating the reflectance and transmitance?
Thank you in advance!

Fresnel equation:

QQ截图20190827123751.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
XLAYZ said:
Could someone please explain if the Fresnel equations applies with monochromatic light when estimating the reflectance and transmitance?

Would it help if I pointed out that the index of refraction n = n(λ)?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: XLAYZ
Andy Resnick said:
Would it help if I pointed out that the index of refraction n = n(λ)?
Thank you for your hint, now I realized that I also need to take the wavelength into account.
BTW, when a constant monochromatic light (λ≈420 nm) passes through a ø 2.5 mm and 15 mm collimator to produce parallel light beams, is this light unpolarized? Thanks.