Do Germans have a sense of humour after all?

  • Thread starter arildno
  • Start date

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,846
130
Do Germans have a sense of humour after all??

I wouldn't have thought it, but after this little gem, I am no longer sure:
[MEDIA=youtube]JYsjfPjNKvw[/MEDIA]&search=village%20people[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor
22,464
2,278
Now, that took a bit of imagination. :bugeye: It is funny though.
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,846
130
I didn't know Hitler was in the habit of dancing.
Sprightly old fellow, wasn't he?
 

Evo

Mentor
22,464
2,278
arildno said:
I didn't know Hitler was in the habit of dancing.
Sprightly old fellow, wasn't he?
That was pretty funny. :biggrin:
 

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,741
6
Germans most definitely do have a sense of humour. German humour is still more on the side of slapstick or send ups of characters. The more traditional idea of a joke in english and a stand up comedian is very hard to do in German because of the constraints of the language. For instance in english typical jokes go along the lines of "blah blah blah..... and then I got off the bus" and the sudden change of location creates the joke. In German a joke of that form would not translate well as in a German sentence everybody would always know the guy was on the bus and so there is no sudden change of location for the story and hence no joke.

Hope this analogy helps.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,464
2,278
Kurdt said:
Germans most definitely do have a sense of humour. German humour is still more on the side of slapstick or send ups of characters. The more traditional idea of a joke in english and a stand up comedian is very hard to do in German because of the constraints of the language. For instance in english typical jokes go along the lines of "blah blah blah..... and then I got off the bus" and the sudden change of location creates the joke. In German a joke of that form would not translate well as in a German sentence everybody would always know the guy was on the bus and so there is no sudden change of location for the story and hence no joke.

Hope this analogy helps.
So, what is the excuse for British humour? <runs and hides>
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,846
130
Evo said:
So, what is the excuse for British humour? <runs and hides>
These guys. :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]oYlzTdSZeI4[/MEDIA]&search=silly%20walk[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

wolram

Gold Member
4,122
550
arildno said:
These guys. :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]oYlzTdSZeI4[/MEDIA]&search=silly%20walk[/URL][/QUOTE]


Monty Python and the flying circus, [SIZE="7"]Bang.
[/SIZE]:biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,190
1,581
arildno said:
These guys. :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]oYlzTdSZeI4[/MEDIA]&search=silly%20walk[/URL][/QUOTE] Yes - Monty Python - the pinnacle or zenith of British humour, in fact all humour. :biggrin: And add to that Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean, Blackadder). :tongue2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,741
6
British humour is the best we're all cutting edge :biggrin: Dare I mention Chris Morris? Best not. :wink:
 

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,741
6
Astronuc said:
Yes - Monty Python - the pinnacle or zenith of British humour, in fact all humour. :biggrin: And add to that Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean, Blackadder). :tongue2:
Ahh yes blackadder one of my favourite comedies of all time. The best British sitcom according to one of those silly top 50 things was Only fools and Horses which I would agree with.
 

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,190
1,581
Evo said:
So, what is the excuse for British humour? <runs and hides>
There is no excuse for British humour. :biggrin: It just is - something completely different. :rofl:

Why do think other intelligent species avoid this planet. :rofl:

No other culture could produce the author of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" - with it's definitive explanation of "Life, the Universe, and Everything." :biggrin:
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,122
550
Evo said:
So, what is the excuse for British humour? <runs and hides>
It is no use hidding Evo, there is a bomb behind every bush :biggrin:
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,846
130
As for slapstick humour, NOTHING beats this one:
[MEDIA=youtube]IhJQp-q1Y1s[/MEDIA]&search=monty%20python%20fish[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,190
1,581
Lumber jack song
[MEDIA=youtube]5zey8567bcg[/MEDIA][/URL] :rofl:


Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Killer Rabbit
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]rxy4MvXPghI[/MEDIA][/URL]
(Poor video, but great dialogue :biggrin: )
 
Last edited by a moderator:

JamesU

Gold Member
694
3
arildno said:
These guys. :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]oYlzTdSZeI4[/MEDIA]&search=silly%20walk[/URL][/QUOTE]
That wasn't funny:confused:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,846
130
2,788
13
Those are terrrrrrrrrrible. :rofl:
 

JamesU

Gold Member
694
3

Want to reply to this thread?

"Do Germans have a sense of humour after all?" You must log in or register to reply here.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Top Threads

Top