Do Germans have a sense of humour after all?

  • Thread starter Thread starter arildno
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
69 replies · 8K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
10,165
Reaction score
138
Do Germans have a sense of humour after all??

I wouldn't have thought it, but after this little gem, I am no longer sure:
[MEDIA=youtube]JYsjfPjNKvw[/MEDIA]&search=village%20people[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now, that took a bit of imagination. :bugeye: It is funny though.
 
I didn't know Hitler was in the habit of dancing.
Sprightly old fellow, wasn't he?
 
arildno said:
I didn't know Hitler was in the habit of dancing.
Sprightly old fellow, wasn't he?
That was pretty funny. :biggrin:
 
Germans most definitely do have a sense of humour. German humour is still more on the side of slapstick or send ups of characters. The more traditional idea of a joke in english and a stand up comedian is very hard to do in German because of the constraints of the language. For instance in english typical jokes go along the lines of "blah blah blah... and then I got off the bus" and the sudden change of location creates the joke. In German a joke of that form would not translate well as in a German sentence everybody would always know the guy was on the bus and so there is no sudden change of location for the story and hence no joke.

Hope this analogy helps.
 
Kurdt said:
Germans most definitely do have a sense of humour. German humour is still more on the side of slapstick or send ups of characters. The more traditional idea of a joke in english and a stand up comedian is very hard to do in German because of the constraints of the language. For instance in english typical jokes go along the lines of "blah blah blah... and then I got off the bus" and the sudden change of location creates the joke. In German a joke of that form would not translate well as in a German sentence everybody would always know the guy was on the bus and so there is no sudden change of location for the story and hence no joke.

Hope this analogy helps.
So, what is the excuse for British humour? <runs and hides>
 
Evo said:
So, what is the excuse for British humour? <runs and hides>
These guys. :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]oYlzTdSZeI4[/MEDIA]&search=silly%20walk[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
These guys. :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]oYlzTdSZeI4[/MEDIA]&search=silly%20walk[/URL][/QUOTE]


Monty Python and the flying circus, [SIZE="7"]Bang.
:biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
These guys. :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]oYlzTdSZeI4[/MEDIA]&search=silly%20walk[/URL][/QUOTE] Yes - Monty Python - the pinnacle or zenith of British humour, in fact all humour. :biggrin: And add to that Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean, Blackadder). :-p
 
Last edited by a moderator:
British humour is the best we're all cutting edge :biggrin: Dare I mention Chris Morris? Best not. :wink:
 
Astronuc said:
Yes - Monty Python - the pinnacle or zenith of British humour, in fact all humour. :biggrin: And add to that Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean, Blackadder). :-p

Ahh yes blackadder one of my favourite comedies of all time. The best British sitcom according to one of those silly top 50 things was Only fools and Horses which I would agree with.
 
Evo said:
So, what is the excuse for British humour? <runs and hides>
There is no excuse for British humour. :biggrin: It just is - something completely different. :smile:

Why do think other intelligent species avoid this planet. :smile:

No other culture could produce the author of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" - with it's definitive explanation of "Life, the Universe, and Everything." :biggrin:
 
Evo said:
So, what is the excuse for British humour? <runs and hides>

It is no use hidding Evo, there is a bomb behind every bush :biggrin:
 
As for slapstick humour, NOTHING beats this one:
[MEDIA=youtube]IhJQp-q1Y1s[/MEDIA]&search=monty%20python%20fish[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lumber jack song
[MEDIA=youtube]5zey8567bcg[/MEDIA][/URL] :smile:


Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Killer Rabbit
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]rxy4MvXPghI[/MEDIA][/URL]
(Poor video, but great dialogue :biggrin: )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
These guys. :smile:
[MEDIA=youtube]oYlzTdSZeI4[/MEDIA]&search=silly%20walk[/URL][/QUOTE]
That wasn't funny:confused:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
yomamma said:
That wasn't funny:confused:
Yes it is..
 
arildno said:
Yes it is..
that was awful...


like really stupid
 
yomamma said:
that was awful...


like really stupid
Precisely!:biggrin:
 
yomamma said:
I will never understand british humor:bugeye:
Quite so!:biggrin:
 
arildno said:
Yes it is..

Pure gold, one would have to be soul less not to like them :biggrin:
 
yomamma said:
I will never understand british humor:bugeye:
Like I say we're on the cutting edge dude :smile:
 
yomamma said:
I will never understand british humor:bugeye:
But I think that's great!
In fact greater than american humour...
 
Last edited:
yomamma said:
You people are inasane!

edit: to wolram

I keep hearing little squeaks:rolleyes: what is that:confused:
 
wolram said:
I keep hearing little squeaks:rolleyes: what is that:confused:
Perhaps the parrot isn't quite dead after all.