Do I Need Calculus? | ScienceNerd36

• Thread starter ScienceNerd36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculus when calculating the instantaneous speed of an object at a certain point of acceleration. The conclusion is that if the acceleration is constant, calculus is not necessary and basic kinematics can be used instead.
ScienceNerd36
Hello there my fellow atomic aficionados.

I was simply wondering if I need the mathematical tool of calculus under my metaphorical belt, when calculating the instantaneous speed of an object at a certain point of acceleration?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

The Eccentric,
ScienceNerd36.

Physics news on Phys.org
"at a certain point of acceleration" - i don't really know what you mean, but does that mean at a certain point of the function a(t0) = dv/dt at t0?

then you integrate a(t) to get v(t), and evaluate v(t) at any t0 you want.

lolgarithms said:
"at a certain point of acceleration" - i don't really know what you mean, but does that mean at a certain point of the function a(t0) = dv/dt at t0?

then you integrate a(t) to get v(t), and evaluate v(t) at any t0 you want.
I mean if an object was accelerating at 10m/s/s and you took a picture of the object a certain amount of time after the object began its motion, would you need calculus to work out the objects speed at that point.

ScienceNerd36 said:
I mean if an object was accelerating at 10m/s/s and you took a picture of the object a certain amount of time after the object began its motion, would you need calculus to work out the objects speed at that point.
If the acceleration is constant you won't need calculus, just basic kinematics.

Thanks, you really helped me out.

ScienceNerd36 said:

[tex] v_{f} = v_{0} + at [/tex]

1. What is Calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of how the world works and is essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Do I need Calculus for my degree?

It depends on your degree requirements. If you are pursuing a degree in a STEM field, then Calculus is typically a required course. However, if your degree is in a non-STEM field, Calculus may not be necessary.

3. Can I understand Calculus without a strong math background?

It is possible to understand the concepts of Calculus without a strong math background, but it may require more time and effort. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and geometry before delving into Calculus.

4. What are some real-world applications of Calculus?

Calculus is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some real-world applications include predicting the path of a projectile, designing bridges and buildings, analyzing stock market trends, and modeling population growth.

5. Is it worth learning Calculus if I don't plan on using it in my career?

Learning Calculus can have many benefits, even if you don't plan on using it in your career. It can improve your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and also open up opportunities for further education and career paths. It is a challenging but rewarding subject to learn.