Do I need Masters degree in Electrical and Computer science?

In summary, the individual has an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering and 8 years of work experience in PCB design, mainly in Validation. They are interested in transitioning to the Signal and Power Integrity field and are considering pursuing a Masters degree in Electrical and Computer Science. Questions arise about how the degree will impact their career and what courses they should take. Factors to consider include the individual's years of experience, career growth, and potential employer support.
nk_1
I have done my Undergrad in Electrical Engineering and I have close to 8 Years of work experience in PCB design and mostly in Validation. I have done Signal Integrity and bit of Power Integrity validation for boards.
I would like to move towards Signal and Power Integrity field. In that case what are the pros and cons of doing a Masters degree in the electrical and computer science field.
1. Will this help me to move forward in my career.
2. What are the courses I should be picking up for getting into the Signal and Power Integrity field

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit hard to tell without some additional information.

1. How are you measuring that eight years of experience? In other words, did you obtain your bachelors degree eight years ago?

If that's the case you're getting close to that ten year mark where your college degree matters less and less. An advanced degree helps, particularly nowadays where many employers view a masters degree as the entry level degree, but it's not essential.

2. Have you watched your career and learned new things / did new things in that eight years of experience, or have you done the same job multiple times over? The former makes you a much more valuable employee than does the latter. It means you have some leverage (or don't if you fall in the latter category).

3. Will your employer pay your tuition and fees? If so, look into that route. Going back to living as a poor student is not going to be very attractive after having lived with a nice paycheck for eight years. The obvious downsides of getting a degree on the side is that it will take longer to get that degree (~four years or so) and you will have no life other than work and school during that four year period. A not so obvious downside is that your employer might require that you work for an additional N years for them or you will owe the entire amount they paid for your degree. OTOH, you can negotiate to have a brand new employer pay that penalty to your current employer.

1. Do I need a Masters degree in Electrical and Computer Science to be successful in the field?

While a Masters degree can certainly provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in Electrical and Computer Science, it is not necessarily a requirement for success in the field. Many professionals have achieved success with just a Bachelor's degree and relevant work experience. It ultimately depends on your personal goals and the job opportunities available.

2. Will a Masters degree in Electrical and Computer Science increase my earning potential?

In general, having a higher level of education can lead to higher earning potential. However, it's important to note that factors such as job experience, location, and industry can also play a significant role in determining salary. Having a Masters degree can certainly open up opportunities for higher paying positions, but it is not a guarantee.

3. Can I specialize in a certain area with a Masters degree in Electrical and Computer Science?

Yes, many Masters programs offer the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of Electrical and Computer Science, such as artificial intelligence, robotics, or computer systems. This can allow you to gain in-depth knowledge and skills in a particular area of interest.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Masters degree in Electrical and Computer Science?

The length of a Masters program can vary, but on average it takes about 2 years to complete. However, there are also accelerated programs that can be completed in 1 year, as well as part-time programs that may take longer.

5. Can I pursue a career in Electrical and Computer Science with a degree in a different field?

While it is possible to enter the field of Electrical and Computer Science with a degree in a different field, it may require additional coursework or self-study to gain the necessary knowledge and skills. Having a degree in a related field, such as mathematics or physics, may make this transition easier. Alternatively, some individuals choose to pursue a Masters degree in Electrical and Computer Science to gain the necessary background for a career in the field.