DO NOT throw any engineering questions at Chat GPT

In summary, the chatbot has been gaining attention for its ability to answer a variety of questions, even from experts in different fields. However, it is still prone to making mistakes and it is important to be cautious when using it. The chatbot can provide a general overview of the solution, but it is necessary to double-check and ask for further explanation. It is also limited in its ability to understand technical language and models.
Windadct
TL;DR Summary
Playing with chatGPT to do some calculations is kind of humbling...
This chatbot has been getting a lot of notice lately - my son, a mech E and I were throwing a variety of questions at it, and then with a bio-chemist last nigh at dinner ( geeks - yes) - anyway. It fun but also makes you feel a little obsolete... I threw a magnetic / induction question at it that I could find anyone to answer and now I have to re-think some issues!

lol

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is remarkable. But it is still at the stage where it sometimes gets the answers completely wrong. But expect it to improve greatly in coming months.

But that makes a good lesson for all of us dealing with any AI. It can ease our jobs. We can learn from it. But we must be on guard for completely wrong answers. Anyone using it who is not capable of detecting the AI's errors is a fool. That statement may remain true no matter how good the AI gets.

Likes russ_watters
I appreciate that it gives the methodology of the solution so you can work through it. The answers can be at "executive summary" level, but it does allow you you to continually query the answers and dig deeper. I have to check on a wrong answer and ask it to explain what the difference is between the correct answer and the ChatGPT one... would be interesting.

Luckily - our language is schematics - and not easy to input, well there is netlist. ( It apparently does not have acess to LTSpice models...)

1. What is Chat GPT?

Chat GPT is a chatbot powered by GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) technology, which allows it to generate human-like responses to user input.

2. Can I ask engineering questions to Chat GPT?

No, Chat GPT is not designed to answer engineering questions. It is meant for casual conversation and entertainment purposes only.

3. Why should I not ask engineering questions to Chat GPT?

Chat GPT does not have the knowledge or expertise to accurately answer engineering questions. It is trained on a large dataset of general knowledge and may provide incorrect or irrelevant responses to technical questions.

4. Is Chat GPT capable of learning and improving its responses?

Yes, Chat GPT uses machine learning algorithms to continuously improve its responses based on user interactions. However, it is limited to the information it has been trained on and may not be able to understand complex or technical concepts.

5. Can Chat GPT be used for scientific research or data analysis?

No, Chat GPT is not designed for scientific research or data analysis. Its purpose is to engage in casual conversation and provide entertainment, not to perform complex tasks or provide accurate information on scientific topics.