Do other countries look at us and laugh?

• News
  • Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
In summary: Stewart and Colbert have now become mainstream, and as a result, their humor is no longer as sharp. It's not that they're not funny- they're still hilarious- but their jokes are more familiar to everyone, and as a result, they don't pack the same punch. In summary, the Daily Show and Colbert Report are funny, but their humor is not as sharp as it was before they became mainstream.
Topher925
I have to say, I haven't been feeling very proud to be an American lately. With everything that's been going on about health care reform, we Americans have got to be looking pretty stupid as of late. I can't believe arrogant and politically blind some people are these days. All this talk about "death panels" and the inane town hall meetings were people are shouting at senators to watch Glenn Beck makes me feel that idiocracy is coming to fruition.

Even worse is our former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her constant nonsense.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090813/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_end_of_life

The woman's speeches sound like they came from refrigerator magnet poetry and yet people follow everything she says. Can you imagine what things would be like if her an McCaine actually got elected?

Is it possible for president Obama to impeach us? I wonder how high our approval rating is with the government.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Topher925 said:
Is it possible for president Obama to impeach us? I wonder how high our approval rating is with the government.
As if it were the government's job to judge the people instead of the other way around?

Now here's an idiotic thread that should be locked! (Hint)

So, Topher925, you find it ridiculous that angry crowds will tell senators to watch Glenn Beck? (I actually agree, by the way)

However, what you're saying is that we should watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Your post is basically a summary of their major focus from the past week (death panels, Palin, Glenn Beck)

Daily Show, August 10th: at 3:55 clip of senator being told to watch Glenn Beck, with senator recommending they turn the TV off when he comes on (followed by Daily Show crowd applause)

And the Colbert Report (also from August 10th) at 2:20:
(Colbert) Bravo, Ms. Palin! That is the most powerful message you've written by throwing a handful of magnetic poetry against the fridge.
Both episodes are available on their websites if you want to see for yourself.

Remarkably similar to your post. Now I admire the humor of the Daily Show and the "Repour," but they are unashamedly biased. They've gone after Fox on many occasions (and rightfully so), but MSNBC has yet to draw Stewart or Colbert's special form of ire. And, believe me, it's not for a lack of material: it's a treasure trove of nonsense. It's especially inexcusable because it's no secret that MSNBC is basically a carbon copy of the model that made Fox News a success, albeit with a 180-degree ideology.

Supercritical said:
It's especially inexcusable because it's no secret that MSNBC is basically a carbon copy of the model that made Fox News a success, albeit with a 180-degree ideology.
Meh, Colbert is a comedian, not a reporter. He doesn't have any standards at all to adhere to, much less accuracy or bias standards. He can do whatever he wants (within the constraints of what his comedy network allows). Now perhaps it would be better for his ratings if he was more even-handed, but whether he should or not is up to him and his producers.

IMO, the best political humor around comes from South Park.

russ_watters said:
IMO, the best political humor around comes from South Park.
Now that, I agree with. South Park is made by self-described libertarians, and given the inherent absurdity in the arguments of the opponents of liberty, they have plenty of material to work with.

The British can't laugh at us because it would call attention to their silly accent and all. And if Lichtenstein laughs at us I'm going over there to beat it up. I think North Korea laughs at us, but it's more like that Bwa-ha-ha-ha kind of laugh. Then there's Russia. Totally lacking in a sense of humor they don't laugh at anything. Perhaps France laughs at us. They won't eat our hot dogs and we won't eat their French fries. So let them laugh. I think the US laughs at Belgium. Poirot is from Belgium, but everyone calls him a Frog which puzzles and irritates him. I say we nuke the lot of 'em and see who laughs last.

I certainly laugh at Sarah Palin (come on, she says some pretty hilarious things!), but then again, I'm sure there are political figures elsewhere in the world that Americans laugh at!

cristo said:
I'm sure there are political figures elsewhere in the world that Americans laugh at!

I assume Silvio Berlusconi would be one of them.

Thing is, A LOT of people get their news from the likes of the Daily Show and Colbert.

Jon Stewart once crafted his show merely as a counterbalance to the crazy state of TV news (see: Crossfire incident). It had a lot to do with why it was (and still is) funny, creating the success that it's been in the past 10 years. But with success comes viewership, and despite his frequent self-effacing remarks about himself and "being on cable," his show is now one of the heavyweights.

It started out as an entertainment satire of infotainment, but it's arguably evolved into the latter. In a twist of irony, Stewart is now part of the problem.

I don't have any specific examples, but Stewart's theme during most of Bush's presidency was that the Republicans were making a mess of domestic and foreign policy, and that the Democrats were spineless and clueless by failing to capitalize on it in the elections (until 2006). Sounds even-handed, right? But ask yourself this question: Which worldview was Stewart criticizing? If I were a party chairman, I would much rather have my party criticized for ineffectiveness than for its agenda. It would mean I would only have to restructure and re-energize the base, as opposed to having to win back the minds of the American people.

I'm not convinced that it was just because the GOP was in power, either. Stewart has criticized Obama, but it's been for a poor choice of language on key issues. He expressed disbelief that Obama sabotaged his entire healthcare press conference with the Gates comment at the very end, and likewise criticized him for comparing government/private healthcare to the post office/UPS arrangement in the US. Once again, ridiculing style instead of substance.

Topher925 said:
I have to say, I haven't been feeling very proud to be an American lately.

LATELY?! What about when Cheney's boy were torturing people? And I don't know about you, but every time Bush would babble on TV I wanted to pull off my ears and gouge out my eyes. Honestly, just watching the guy could make me ill. At least we now have a President who is smart, respectable, and dedicated.

With everything that's been going on about health care reform, we Americans have got to be looking pretty stupid as of late. I can't believe arrogant and politically blind some people are these days. All this talk about "death panels" and the inane town hall meetings were people are shouting at senators to watch Glenn Beck makes me feel that idiocracy is coming to fruition.

Even worse is our former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her constant nonsense.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090813/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_end_of_life

The woman's speeches sound like they came from refrigerator magnet poetry and yet people follow everything she says. Can you imagine what things would be like if her an McCaine actually got elected?

Hopefully these people only represent about 20% of the voting public. It just seems like there are more because they are so vocal and abusive. I also noted that Mo. Senator Claire McCaskill reported that while the ten minutes of disruption of her town hall that made the news was what everyone saw, the other two hours not reported on the news were very productive.

I think there are a lot of good people who have been deceived by the right-wingnut media machine, but they will probably make reasonable choices if given good information. All of these town halls are probably the best thing that could happen. It will help to clear the chaff and nuttery spread by the likes of Beck, Limbaugh, Savage, etc.

WhoWee said:
He needs to start checking his facts.

The White House spokesman admitted that Obama mispoke about the AARP. He probably meant the AMA. As far as numbers, that is a legitimate point of debate. If people see problems then that needs to be addressed. On the other hand, there are elements of his strategy not considered by some groups. So, great! Let's [as a nation] hash that out.

We have to reduce the cost of health care and I don't think this point is being addressed nearly enough. It's not like I am happy with everything either; and no one should be. We are taking on one of the most important and difficult issues facing this nation. But that fact alone merits Obama praise and respect. At least he is taking on the hard problems, which we so desperately need to do.

When you take on the most difficult and important problems facing the nation - problems avoided by most Presidents - we can expect a dog fight. It's a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
I don't understand why americans are so concerned with the opinions of what other countries think of American culture and in general america's image; When politicians go and speak on behalf of the United states when traveling abroad, they aren't really representing the values each american individual holds;Therefore, they are not really representing the true image of the United states; I would get upset when the US military invades other countries without regard for that country's sovereignty and they didn't attack the US; but if some politician doesn't speak properly and his speech isn't articulate and that offends leaders of other nations, unless that country wants to ignite a war or imposed trade barriers on US imports only because the president doesn't speak eloquently to that leader, I don't care about the opinion of some leader in another country; Its their opinion, it does not mean that their lowly opinion of America is based on truth;

Supercritical said:
They've gone after Fox on many occasions (and rightfully so), but MSNBC has yet to draw Stewart or Colbert's special form of ire.

I can't remember for sure about Colbert, but Jon Stewart has skewered MSNBC on about a 1:4 ratio vs. Fox.
As for the question in the title of this thread, the answer is 'yes'.
My opinion, which I hope that everyone will understand in the proper context, is that Yankees are like dogs; as a species, they suck, but it's very rarely that I run into an individual that I don't like. You can have a good time with a limited number of them, but once you hit an abitrary critical mass of bodies, they start turning on you and each other. A high percentage of my friends here on PF are from the States, and they're all great people. Even those that I usually disagree with on cultural matters, such as Russ, are intelligent, educated (far beyond me), and respectful of others' opinions. That is typical of Yankee individual behaviour (although the intelligence and education level here are much higher than average). Those 'town hall' meeting on the news are typical of Yankee mob behaviour that occurs when you get too many irrational people in the same place at the same time.
I hope that didn't offend any of my US friends; it's just the way that I see it.

Last edited:
We do have he best comedy in the world. So I would say yes, other countries look at us and laugh. And then we laugh at them for laughing with those funny accents. It's all good.

drankin said:
We do have he best comedy in the world.

Some of the best, not all of it. I got to admit that Jeff Foxworthy, his buddies from 'Blue Collar Comedy', David Brenner in the old days, Drew Carey, and several others just make me bust a gut. On the other hand, I absolutely gag if I try to watch Seinfeld, Letterman, or almost any Yank sitcom currently on the air. Used to love Taxi, WKRP, Dave's World... but that was back when comedy was based upon humour rather than canned laughter triggered by utterly inane comments.

drankin said:
We do have he best comedy in the world.
That explains it Congress is an open-mike at a standup show

Danger said:
Yankees are like dogs; as a species, they suck...
Just so we're clear, you're talking about the New York Yankees, right? In that case, we agree.

Either way...
Even those that I usually disagree with on cultural matters, such as Russ, are intelligent, educated (far beyond me), and respectful of others' opinions.
Thanks, but what are you, a cat? I still have no idea, and that pic has been up for a couple of years!

Meh, whatever.

mgb_phys said:
That explains it Congress is an open-mike at a standup show
There is no way that our Congress is funnier than Parliament.

russ_watters said:
Just so we're clear, you're talking about the New York Yankees, right? In that case, we agree.

Either way... Thanks, but what are you, a cat? I still have no idea, and that pic has been up for a couple of years!
No, Yankees as in citizens of the USA. Everyone in North, Central, or South America is American, so I refuse to use that title to single out US residents. You have no proprietary right to it.
I'm not a cat, but I am a cat lover. Remember, Lucy does my typing for me (and I/we have posted the picture to prove it).
As for the avatar, that's staying up permanently. It isn't anything specific, but does seem to remind me of one of Glory's minions from the 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' series. (I loved that show.) It took me over two days to make that costume, and I'm damned well going to make it pay off. :tongue:

Danger said:
I hope that didn't offend any of my US friends; it's just the way that I see it.

I don't think we are friends. You're a knuck aren't you? Wait. Aren't knuck's supposed to be our friends?

But I look at us and laugh all the time.

Self-deprecating humour is the best.

OmCheeto said:
I don't think we are friends. You're a knuck aren't you? Wait. Aren't knuck's supposed to be our friends?

But I look at us and laugh all the time.

Self-deprecating humour is the best.

I've got to say that I've never seen it spelled that way before, but agreed. :smile:

The truth is that while Braindead Bush was in power, we both ridiculed and feared the US. There's nothing like having someone with the IQ of an eggplant in charge of the world's largest nuclear arsenal to disturb one's sleep.
Obama has been rapidly changing that ever since his election. The right-wing extremists are still good for a laugh now and then, but the nation as a whole is beginning to gain some respect.

Danger said:
Used to love Taxi, WKRP, Dave's World... but that was back when comedy was based upon humour rather than canned laughter triggered by utterly inane comments.

wiki said:
The first American television show to incorporate a laugh track was the American sitcom The Hank McCune Show in 1950.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugh_track"

Taxi was way back then?

Danger said:
No, Yankees as in citizens of the USA. Everyone in North, Central, or South America is American, so I refuse to use that title to single out US residents. You have no proprietary right to it.
Don't you know the US is the center of the universe? I remember my Spanish class laughed at the idea that the Spanish translation for a citizen of the United States effectively translated into United Statesian. There isn't even a term for that used in English. I caved a long time ago and just say American. People know exactly what I mean because only United States citizens identify their country as the entirety of 2 continents. The Pacific Ocean didn't stop manifest destiny from continuing in our imagination. That's got to be worth a few laughs.

I get the impression that other countries find the US meddlesome, arrogant, a constant source of entertainment and an occasional source of fear. We don't seem to be able to agree on anything and we like to fight. That fits with the whole wild west theme that some people still apply to the US. I blame John Wayne.

Huckleberry said:
I get the impression that other countries find the US meddlesome, arrogant, a constant source of entertainment and an occasional source of fear. We don't seem to be able to agree on anything and we like to fight. That fits with the whole wild west theme that some people still apply to the US. I blame John Wayne.

What? I thought Obama fixed that whole meddlesome/arrogance thing...remember the "apology tour"?

jimmysnyder said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugh_track"

Taxi was way back then?

I didn't mean to imply that laugh tracks didn't exist back then, but the shows that I mentioned were genuinely funny; things that a live audience would laugh at. Most of them now are just stupid, and there would be no laughter from a live audience. (At least, not an intelligent one.)

Danger said:
I didn't mean to imply that laugh tracks didn't exist back then, but the shows that I mentioned were genuinely funny; things that a live audience would laugh at. Most of them now are just stupid, and there would be no laughter from a live audience. (At least, not an intelligent one.)
Wait a minute. Wasn't Taxi the show with Andy Kaufman playing the role of foreign man? We all had a good laugh at that.

jimmysnyder said:
Wait a minute. Wasn't Taxi the show with Andy Kaufman playing the role of foreign man? We all had a good laugh at that.

Yes, it was. All of the characters had some great lines. Judd Hirsch was the only sane one of the bunch. I think that my favourite was Christopher Lloyd as 'Reverend Jim'. He put on some really ingenious performances.

Topher925 said:
I have to say, I haven't been feeling very proud to be an American lately. With everything that's been going on about health care reform, we Americans have got to be looking pretty stupid as of late. I can't believe arrogant and politically blind some people are these days. All this talk about "death panels" and the inane town hall meetings were people are shouting at senators to watch Glenn Beck makes me feel that idiocracy is coming to fruition.

I think it's great that the American people are speaking back to their government; that's a crucial American* freedom. I think it's great that citizens of other nations can likewise "look at us and laugh"; 'we' could use the criticism and the perspective. Certainly I've had my fair share of mirth at the expense of other nations.

I do wish that the criticism, at home and abroad, was more factual. But I also wish we had cheap clean energy, a proof of the Riemann hypothesis, freedom from totalitarian regimes, and peace on earth. I'm not holding my breath.

* I would argue that this is a crucial human freedom.

russ_watters said:

Maybe Parliament is literally funnier (though I think "quaint" is the best word for most of it), but at least MPs don't spend their time writing resolutions to honour pop stars!

russ_watters said:
Well the comedians in parliament do write they're own material. The latest volume of expenses justifications is pretty funny.

Danger said:
Yes, it was. All of the characters had some great lines. Judd Hirsch was the only sane one of the bunch. I think that my favourite was Christopher Lloyd as 'Reverend Jim'. He put on some really ingenious performances.
Well things have come full circle if foreign man is now laughing at us.

Danger said:
We'd call ourselves "Universians", but it just doesn't have the same flow. :biggrin:

People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where they laugh at Americans and would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially humorous.

jimmysnyder said:
Well things have come full circle if foreign man is now laughing at us.

:rofl: