Do people really buy cell phones to play music?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
62 replies · 10K views
I have a cell phone, and I'm not ashamed of it. It has a camera, can play music, etc.

It's just darn useful. No matter where I'm at anyone can get a hold of me (if I don't want to be interrupted I can - gasp - turn the ringer off!) for any reason. As my friends all have cell phones, I can get a hold of them just as easily - again no matter where they are at (and if they don't want to be interrupted they also turn off the ringer).

I just don't see any reason to not have a cell phone.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
One might think of cell phones evolving as electronic Swiss knives - a blade in your pocket for every function.

Just wait until someone incessantly mistakes your line for a fax machine.
 
I don't understand the animosity some people have towards cellphones and being able to be reached. Why would you want to not be reached? What if something major happens? What if a friend dies, or is in the hospital? What if your kid got injured? Wouldn't you want to be able to know this as soon as possible instead of waiting to get home and listen to an answer machine? I mean, if you really don't want anyone to be able to reach you you can, as I do, turn off the ringer on your cell phone so it doesn't disturb you. However, I don't see why a trip to the grocery store should require yourself to be secluded from your social groups.