Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do physicists know the Lebesgue integral?

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    Do physicists in general have need of the Lebesgue integral? Are they taught it in graduate school?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2
    I'm not a physicist so I don't know. I'm told that Lebesgue measure is very useful for probability theory so I'm sure there's lots of times when it will be very useful for physics.

4. Jan 11, 2012 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mathematical physicists: Yes.
    Theoretical physicists: Maybe.
    Experimental physicists: No.

Mathematical physicists need it mainly to understand proofs in books on functional analysis.

5. Jan 11, 2012 #4
    As a disclaimer, I don't know anything about physics. However, I would guess that it would depend on the nature of things you will have to integrate. Many physical things, objects and natural-enough shape-esque objects will be sufficiently integrated with Riemann integration, but if you have to integrate more complicated entities, you will need the Lebesgue integral.

6. Jan 11, 2012 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To gaussmouse and wisvuze: impressive that you both feel qualified to answer a question about physicists when you both claim you know nothing about physics.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Jan 11, 2012 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a mathematician I will say that Lebesgue integration is needed to prove theorems concerning integrals and related material. For applications it is only necessary to know what limitations the theory may impose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook