Do the shuttle and iss astronauts see the moon as we do on the earth?

In summary, the moon does not always appear full from orbit and its appearance is constantly changing depending on its position in relation to the sun and Earth.
cslewis2011
My son asked me if the moon is always full as seen from orbit. I think it is apreciably the same. E.g at new moon, the astronauts wouldn't see the moon. Is that true?

Physics news on Phys.org
cslewis2011 said:
My son asked me if the moon is always full as seen from orbit. I think it is apreciably the same. E.g at new moon, the astronauts wouldn't see the moon. Is that true?

You are correct. As long as the orbit remains within certain altitude parameters the perspectives are as usual except much clearer because of no atmospheric interference..

Last edited:

Yes, that is true. The moon appears full from Earth because of its position relative to the sun and our vantage point on the planet. However, from orbit, the moon would not always appear full. During a new moon, the side of the moon facing Earth is not illuminated by the sun, so it would not be visible from orbit. The moon's appearance from orbit is constantly changing depending on its position in relation to the sun and Earth.

1. How does the view of the moon differ for astronauts on the shuttle and ISS compared to those on Earth?

The view of the moon for astronauts on the shuttle and ISS is different from those on Earth in a few ways. Firstly, the moon appears larger and more detailed to astronauts due to their higher altitude and lack of atmospheric interference. Additionally, the astronauts will see the moon from a different angle and perspective as they orbit around it.

2. Can astronauts see the phases of the moon from the shuttle and ISS?

Yes, astronauts can see the phases of the moon from the shuttle and ISS. Just like on Earth, the moon goes through its phases as it orbits around the Earth, and this can be seen from any location in space.

3. What is the quality of the moon's appearance for astronauts on the shuttle and ISS?

The quality of the moon's appearance for astronauts on the shuttle and ISS is extremely clear and detailed. Due to their high altitude, there is less atmospheric distortion, providing a clearer view of the moon's surface features.

4. Do astronauts on the shuttle and ISS see the same side of the moon as we do on Earth?

Yes, astronauts on the shuttle and ISS see the same side of the moon as we do on Earth. This is because the moon's rotation and orbit around the Earth are synchronized, meaning the same side always faces the Earth.

5. Can astronauts see the moon during the daytime from the shuttle and ISS?

Yes, astronauts can see the moon during the daytime from the shuttle and ISS. Just like on Earth, the moon is visible during the day depending on its position and the amount of sunlight it reflects. Astronauts may also have a better chance of seeing the moon during the day due to their higher altitude and lack of atmospheric interference.