Do you feel proud to your contry?

• Thread starter yu_wing_sin
  • Start date
In summary, Norwegians are proud of their country for a few reasons. First, Norway is one of the three big cultural countries in the world. Second, Norwegians are proud of their history of commerce and capitalism. Third, Norwegians are proud of their literary tradition, with some of the world's best writers including Henry James, John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway. Finally, Norwegians are proud of their modern film industry.
arildno said:
Guiness is disgusting.
A pint of bitter is divine.

North Coast Rasputin Stout is better, but Guinness is the nectar of life. Don't give the English credit for it, either. It's an Irish brew.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Brewnog...MARRY ME. Well, only if you can feed me what you've just described. :redface:

What's in it for me? :tongue2:

Evo said:
http://www.bpic.co.uk/bookrevs/yorkshire_pudding.gif
[/URL]

Whatever country this thing was made in needs to have its citizens tested for the plague... and shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
Whatever country this thing was made in needs to have its citizens tested for the plague... and shot.

Well you won't have any," spotted dick", then, another british pudding.
I make two versions of yokie pud, one savory, and one that's delicious with
strawberry jam, and," toad in the hole", with my secret gravy recipe is a
meal fit for a king.
And don't forget bread pudding, or bread and butter pudding, yummy.

What is up with UK food? Neither the Scots, Irish, or English have contributed anything positive to world cuisine. Heck, I think the only European country I would be proud of on a culinary basis is Italy. Even then I would primarily be proud of Calabria.

loseyourname said:
What is up with UK food? Neither the Scots, Irish, or English have contributed anything positive to world cuisine. Heck, I think the only European country I would be proud of on a culinary basis is Italy. Even then I would primarily be proud of Calabria.

Well the only thing America has done for food is make food muuuuuuuuuuuch bigger

loseyourname said:

Pasta, pasta, pasta, pasta, and a round thing with stuff on it, man you aint eaten proper english grub if you think that stuff is good.

Southern Italian cuisine is not big on pasta.

I don't necessarily blame you guys. All of the wonderful vegetables, fruits, and herbs that grow in Italy and make the food so delightfully flavorful don't grow that far north.

yu_wing_sin said:
Do you feel proud to your contry?

I'm very glad I was born in Sweden, but I can not say that I'm proud of that, I just happened to be very lucky.

Since I'm not the one who "built" Sweden, I cannot say I'm more proud of "my" country than I am proud of for example Norway or Australia.

"Patriotism" is probably the uggliest word ever.

cragwolf said:
I'm proud of a few individuals in my country. Not necessarily everything about them, because everyone has their warts. But proud of my country? No, I leave such primitive emotions for the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei and other völkisch movements of their ilk that have plagued modern history. I don't know why boys get attracted to that nonsense. If you can't find a girlfriend or you're dissatisfied with your current partner, there are far more interesting and worthwhile hobbies to take up, like physics, mountain climbing and nudism. And if you really feel the need to sacrifice your individuality to group-think, join an amateur football club. Just stay out of politics, for the sake of everyone!

Well said!

EL said:

It's so chauvinistic, isn't it? Why can't we be 'matriotic?'

loseyourname said:

Exactly my point! :tongue2: ...or...

Moonbear said:
But is it any wonder we're all confused about what pudding is? First I thought pudding was, well, pudding, you know, custard type stuff. Then I visited Britain and realized it applied to the entire dessert menu, but now it also includes bread you eat with or before your main course, and some nasty sausage you eat as breakfast food! Is there any rhyme or reason to it?
Alton Brown goes into the entymology of the word "pudding" in his pudding show. It really does span a lot of different meanings. Pudding, originally, was english and was pretty much anything that had bread in it. What we refer to as dessert pudding today is an American concoction. I can transcribe the entire segment if anyone so desires.

The online etymology dictionary can be helpful here:

pudding

c.1305, "a kind of sausage: the stomach or one of the entrails of a pig, sheep, etc., stuffed with minced meat, suet, seasoning, boiled and kept till needed," perhaps from a W.Gmc. stem *pud- "to swell" (cf. O.E. puduc "a wen," Westphalian dial. puddek "lump, pudding," Low Ger. pudde-wurst "black pudding," Eng. dial. pod "belly," also cf. pudgy). Other possibility is that it is from O.Fr. boudin "sausage," from V.L. *botellinus, from L. botellus "sausage" (change of Fr. b- to Eng. p- presents difficulties, but cf. purse). The modern sense had emerged by 1670, from extension to other foods boiled or steamed in a bag or sack. Ger. pudding, Fr. pouding, Swed. pudding, Ir. putog are from Eng. Puddinghead "amiable stupid person" is attested from 1851.

I especially like that "puddinghead" meant "amiable stupid person" in 1851.

:rolleyes: So does every one know what a pudding is now :rofl:

Kazza_765 said:
Whaaat, no one from Australia has contributed yet.

10. We invented the Bikini!
11. Thongs

oh yeah... www.wickedweasel.com seems to be the master of that sort of stuff :biggrin:

loseyourname said:

Typical, the world allways forgets about the Welsh ! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

(Oh ... yeah the thread) I am proud to be Welsh :approve: and no we haven`t made any great significant contribution to world cuisine :frown:

Last edited:
Alton Brown's show is great. In case anyone wanted to know. :smile:

zanazzi78 said:
Typical, the world allways forgets about the Welsh ! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

(Oh ... yeah the thread) I am proud to be Welsh :approve: and no we haven`t made any great significant contribution to world cuisine :frown:

I didn't forget about the Welsh, just figured you weren't significant enough to warrant mentioning along with other Brits. Imagine if we were talking about the Iberian peninsula. Everyone will bring up Portugal and Spain, but does anyone really care about Andorra?

zanazzi78 said:

bertrand russell was welsh. that's something to be proud of. :approve:

russ_watters said:
I am from the US and I am proud of the US. Frankly, I can't see why physical features of the land would be something to be proud of, though: Americans didn't build the Grand Canyon.

Better to be proud of the grand canyon than our history of conquest

Galileo said:
...I hate nationalism. It's something the world can do without.

Agreed. Be proud of the wonder mankind finds when we look to the stars.

Not of petty squabbles and meaningless titles.

The wholescale slaughter of people through armed conflict is a wholly nationalistic cause (whether or not it is stirred by religious fervor).

loseyourname said:
the word patriotic comes from latin patria; meaning 'country' and is (i believe) non gender-specific

"Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori."

Translation: It is sweet and glorious to die for one's country.

So no I don't think its gender specific.

In other news: Pretty good right wing rhetoric huh? Surprised FOX News hasn't made it their motto instead of "fair and balanced"

Last edited:
MaxS said:
"Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori."

Translation: It is sweet and glorious to die for one's country.

So no I don't think its gender specific.

How the in name of Saturn is patria not gender specific? It means "fatherland"*, and dervies directly from pater:patris meaning "father". Ancient Rome was a patriarchial society, how can you try to deny that?

*also "homeland" or "native country" (ironically to English speakers, it's a feminine noun)

As for 'decorum' --> 'glorious', where'd you get that translation? More precise would be "it is sweet and proper".

lol take it easy I'm not trying to deny anything i just don't know anything about latin apparently

I am American and I feel proud of it, but I think it would be best if I didn't. I do have a feeling of pride about America creating modern democracy, putting a man on the moon, stoping the nazis, etc., but It doesn't really make sense. I wasn't even around for any of these things and contributed nothing to their getting done. Honestly, I think patriotism is a dangerous emotion. It is something one feels and does not control like, anger or jealosy, and like these it can make people behave irrationally. People will give their lives for the glory of a king who doesn't know their name or have more than an intelectual interest in whether they live or die. When a government wants to build an empire and needs people to risk their lives fighting for a cause that offers them no benefits in their every day lives, how does it convince people to fight? Governments often appeal to nationalism to do this. Nationalism makes people treat other people as less than human. People talk about all the civillian casualties in the Iraq war and say that its too bad, but if that's what it takes to stop another 9-11, its got to be done. But by any count the civillian casualties in that war are greater than those in the attacks. Isn't the war a greater tragedy? People don't seem to think so. I think nationalism has much to do with this. The world would be an infinitely better place if people left behind the notion of nations, which don't really exist except in people's minds. We have to stop banding together in these cliques and killing each other. We should just recognize people as people and leave it at that.

rachmaninoff said:
How the in name of Saturn is patria not gender specific? It means "fatherland"*, and dervies directly from pater:patris meaning "father". Ancient Rome was a patriarchial society, how can you try to deny that?

*also "homeland" or "native country" (ironically to English speakers, it's a feminine noun)
So.. It means 'fatherland' and is masculin, but also means 'homeland' and is feminine? Can you clarify please?
As for 'decorum' --> 'glorious', where'd you get that translation? More precise would be "it is sweet and proper".
The incorrect translation of that quote comes from the poem "Dulce et Decorum Est" by Wilfred Owen, which is taught in the British and Canadian English curriculum (possibly others). Another sign of the Education system crashing down around us.

And I think the best translation I've seen is 'sweet and seemly', but I'm not fluent in latin, so you tell me.
MaxS said:
lol take it easy I'm not trying to deny anything i just don't know anything about latin apparently
It's not your fault, I thought it meant glorious too for the longest time.

Last edited:
So.. It means 'fatherland' and is masculin, but also means 'homeland' and is feminine? Can you clarify please?

It's not 'masculine', it's a feminine noun that translates alternatively as 'fatherland' (most literal), 'country', 'homeland', what have you. Abstractions and locations in Latin are usually of feminine gender, if you only speak English it's not something you'd be familiar with. The English words 'patriotic', 'patriotism', deriving from a word meaning 'fatherland', thus strongly reflect the patriarchial nature of Roman society, the respect for the land of the father, and are hardly gender-neutral. The linguistic gender of the Latin root doesn't really make any difference.

As for, "Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,", I'm quite familiar with that poem, and I don't see that it offers any translation whatsoever; it appears in its original Latin,
"The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. "
As for "sweet and seemly", that's just fine, 'seemly' and 'proper' are very similar transliterations and mean basically the same thing.

rachmaninoff said:
As for, "Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,", I'm quite familiar with that poem, and I don't see that it offers any translation whatsoever; it appears in its original Latin,
"The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. "
I've analyzed that poem in 3 different English classes (different schools), 2 British and one Canadian and each time they taught me that the proper translation was 'Sweet and Glorious'. This is what I was referring to; there seems to be some consensus among the education system(s) that that is the proper translation. I'm not sure how this came about.

Smurf said:
the word patriotic comes from latin patria; meaning 'country' and is (i believe) non gender-specific

The Latin "Patria" is derived from the Greek "Patros," which means father. Heck, the Latin for father is "Pater." Why do you think they have the same root?

Last edited:
I'm proud of my country for choosing peace over war.

EL said:
I'm very glad I was born in Sweden, but I can not say that I'm proud of that, I just happened to be very lucky.

Since I'm not the one who "built" Sweden, I cannot say I'm more proud of "my" country than I am proud of for example Norway or Australia.

Haha, every one has their value view, there is no absolute stand in this point. But China gov encourages and stresses patriotism education, the proud to contry is very important point, it can increase the nations to contry's attributive feeling, I also agree to it, this is the heavy direction to protect the regime of government. Marx he thought, the excessive freedom to people, is not absolute good, people can take the advantage of this to disturb the government's rule, and may cause breakdown of regime. So the medium freedom for people is suitable. Now China gov has enlightened, she is gradually openning in ruling.

yu_wing_sin said:
Haha, every one has their value view, there is no absolute stand in this point. But China gov encourages and stresses patriotism education, the proud to contry is very important point, it can increase the nations to contry's attributive feeling, I also agree to it, this is the heavy direction to protect the regime of government. Marx he thought, the excessive freedom to people, is not absolute good, people can take the advantage of this to disturb the government's rule, and may cause breakdown of regime. So the medium freedom for people is suitable. Now China gov has enlightened, she is gradually openning in ruling.

Yes, patriotism is a way for governments to keep their citizens calm. In patriotic countries the government seems free to do almost anything, since if anyone is against it they will be seen as traitors. This is really absurd.
It seems like the better country to live in, the less patriotic the people is. Probably because the government need not have to spread patriotic thoughts in order to remain.
So, in my opinion, patriotism is a huge sign that something is really wrong.

I can not see why one should feel proud of a country just because one happens to be born on a certain side of an imaginary line.