1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you integrate a variable charge density when solving for Q?

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    For example, let's say there was an block infinitely long in the x and y direction and in the z direction bounded by positive and negative a.

I am trying to find the charge of a imaginary partition infinitely long in the x and y direction and in the z direction bounded by positive and negative b, where b is less than a.

Here is where I get confused, if the charge density is something like p = p0*(a^2 - z^2), where z in the case is b, as mentioned above.

dQ = p * dV

Do i integrate from here or do I substitute in p = p0*(a^2 - z^2), and then integrate?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As p is equal to p0*(a^2 - z^2) it does not matter, but I wonder how you try to integrate it without replacing p by the other expression.

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3
    I thought to just take p out of the integral and substitute it in later after I integrate dV with respect to z. Also, p should still matter because I stated that z^2 is in this case b^2.

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Perhaps this will help: ##\renewcommand{\d}{\text{d}}##
    The charge in the infinite sheet between ##z## and ##z+dz## is $$\d q=p(z)\d z$$
    So the charge within ##|z|<b## is the sum of all such sheets inside that range.

In your example, "##z^2=b^2##", as you say, only at the point ##z=b## ... but the total charge includes all the charge at all points between z=-b and z=b as well - so z has to be able to take on all values in between. vis: $$q=\int_{-b}^b p(z)\;\d z$$ ... i.e. you cannot take ##p## outside the integral because it depends on the variable being integrated over.

There may be a small confusion here though.
    $$\d q=\rho(x,y,z) \d V = p(z)\d z : p(z)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty\int_{-\infty}^\infty\rho(x,y,z)\; \d x\d y$$ ... the provided density function has already done two of the integrations for you - so you are not integrating dV over z.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook