Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you integrate a variable charge density when solving for Q?

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    For example, let's say there was an block infinitely long in the x and y direction and in the z direction bounded by positive and negative a.

I am trying to find the charge of a imaginary partition infinitely long in the x and y direction and in the z direction bounded by positive and negative b, where b is less than a.

Here is where I get confused, if the charge density is something like p = p0*(a^2 - z^2), where z in the case is b, as mentioned above.

dQ = p * dV

Do i integrate from here or do I substitute in p = p0*(a^2 - z^2), and then integrate?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As p is equal to p0*(a^2 - z^2) it does not matter, but I wonder how you try to integrate it without replacing p by the other expression.

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3
    I thought to just take p out of the integral and substitute it in later after I integrate dV with respect to z. Also, p should still matter because I stated that z^2 is in this case b^2.

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Perhaps this will help: ##\renewcommand{\d}{\text{d}}##
    The charge in the infinite sheet between ##z## and ##z+dz## is $$\d q=p(z)\d z$$
    So the charge within ##|z|<b## is the sum of all such sheets inside that range.

In your example, "##z^2=b^2##", as you say, only at the point ##z=b## ... but the total charge includes all the charge at all points between z=-b and z=b as well - so z has to be able to take on all values in between. vis: $$q=\int_{-b}^b p(z)\;\d z$$ ... i.e. you cannot take ##p## outside the integral because it depends on the variable being integrated over.

There may be a small confusion here though.
    $$\d q=\rho(x,y,z) \d V = p(z)\d z : p(z)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty\int_{-\infty}^\infty\rho(x,y,z)\; \d x\d y$$ ... the provided density function has already done two of the integrations for you - so you are not integrating dV over z.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook