Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you leave your computer on while you do homework or studying?

1. Dec 25, 2011 #1
    Hi. I'm wondering if you leave your computer or any electronic devices near you operating when you are doing your homework or are studying. If so, do you find that it distracts you?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2011 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I imagine that many students actually do homework on the compture, perhaps with MathCad, Matlab or Mathematica.

At least one can use a wordprocessor and/or spreadsheet or analytical and graphics software.

If one has a laptop, one can simply fold the screendown and put it in sleep mode. Otherwise, desktop computers can be set to go sleep.

4. Dec 26, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I use to because thanks to the evils of facebook, I'm extraordinarily tempted to go check it every 5 minutes :D

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4
    Yes, and yes - it does distract me. I still haven't learnt.

6. Dec 27, 2011 #5
    Yes, because most of my homework is completed online or in a word processor. And yes, I am usually distracted.

7. Dec 27, 2011 #6
    No..I don't leave my computer as it is while I am busy in doing homework and study..But I keep it in hibernate or in sleep condition..So that when I open it they are in the same condition in which I had leave it..

8. Dec 27, 2011 #7
    Yes, because my computer is typically always running World Community Grid when I'm not using it.

9. Dec 27, 2011 #8
    It distracts me a lot. I have a specific time for checking updates and all. Online study can't match books at the beginner level in any subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook