What software do you use in your field of study?

In summary: Nothing much to report, myself - I'm retired and my only work is serving as executor of an estate - for which LibreOffice writer and calculator come in handy. In summary, I use LibreOffice writer and calc for general work, and Matlab and comsol for research. I also use Python for some modeling.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In the spirit of "It's fun to make lists", tell the forum what software you use in your field of study - with emphasis on what programs you use, rather than what general purpose computer languages you use.

How much of your software is used because its a favorite of a particular department at a particular university ?

Physicists and astronomers often make posts with acronyms designating programs I've never hear of - what are their full names? What do they do?

Electrical engineers use programs to set up "programmable logic devices". Are there lots of programs of this type?

Nothing much to report, myself - I'm retired and my only work is serving as executor of an estate - for which LibreOffice writer and calculator come in handy.

Likes S.G. Janssens, berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Computer science news on Phys.org
From an EE standpoint, it's good to be comfortable with using several software tools:

** C -- you use this for many test programs to test your designs or help with manufacturing test fixtures
** Tcl/TL or Python -- for automating your manual scripts or other test applications
** MATLAB -- for your design work, especially simulating your algorithms on large datasets and plotting/visualization
** SPICE -- Using any of the many SPICE circuit simulation packages to optimize your designs
** Verilog -- For your ASIC designs
** Xilinx Integrated Design Suite for CPLDs and FPGAs -- https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/ise-design-suite.html

and so on... :smile:

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens
Some of the analog EE's at a company I worked for used Visual Basic's drag and drop tool to create a GUI with charts and graphs to display data output by devices in the design stage. Visual Basic generates the user interface code, so the EE's only need to add code to capture and interpret the data from such devices.

For flight controls software (retired now):
MATLAB and Simulink. Was MATRIXX and SystemBuild years ago.
R
Git

Last edited:
Experimental particle physics:
- ROOT and its variants, based on C++ or python. Most software frameworks (specific to the experiments) are based on ROOT.
- Various programs written for particle physics, obviously (Monte Carlo generators, GEANT 4, ...)
- Matlab for some hardware-based tasks.
- Xilinx for FPGAs
- The usual office programs for some quick calculations, presentations, forms, ...
- LaTeX for presentations and publications
- various text editors
- browser and so on, obviously

Most of my real work:

LibreOffice Calc (spreadsheet)
Graph.exe (https://www.padowan.dk/download/)
Gnuplot
SciDavis
Tracker video analysis (http://physlets.org/tracker/ )
LibreOffice Writer
TeXWorks
ImageJ (https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/)
Vernier Logger Pro
GIMP
MotionStudio (high speed video capture and analysis)
AMoreAccurateFourierTransform (https://sourceforge.net/projects/amoreaccuratefouriertransform/)
NIScope
QuickLOAD (Internal ballistics)
JBM (External Ballistics, http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi )
GCC (C compiler)

When I was on the USAFA math faculty, we used Matlab and MMa a lot for teaching, and a colleague and I introduced Graph.exe for early math courses. The only one I still use regularly is Graph.exe, though we did recently get one of the lab assistants a subscription to Wolfram Alpha.

SciPy
Maxima
Gnuplot
C++
Python
Gummi
(I'm a particle physics master's student!)

Experimental device physics/low temperature physics
  • Matlab- for most things including controlling instrumentation
  • Labview -controlling instrumentation (albeit less and less, these days we mainly use Matlab with the Instrumentation control toolbox)
  • Scipy/Python -for some type of modelling (mainly with toolboxes such as Qutip)
  • COMSOL- for FEM simulations
  • Sonnet - for simulating microwave circuits
  • Latex- for writing papers
  • MS Office- for day to day office stuff
  • Origin- for creating graphs for publications (although I mainly use Matlab for this as well)
  • Inkscape, GIMP etc for creating illustrations

For research in atomic and molecular physics:
Matlab
Mathematica
Gaussian

For research in combustion:
OpenFOAM
CHEMKIN
Tecplot
VisIt

For teaching in engineering physics:
Matlab
COMSOL

General purpose:
Emacs (for editing all kind of files)
Igor Pro (for plotting)

-Emacs as editor; sometimes vi for smaller tasks
-LaTeX for text processing
-Fortran
-Mathematica
-gnuplot

Python via Enthought Canopy
LabVIEW
LaTeX
Eagle PCB CAD
SPICE Circuit Simulation
SolidWorks
Elsyca (electrochemical FEM)
Gamry Framework (electrochemical impedance modeling)
Excel
Played with Matlab, Fortran, C++, TecPlot and ImageJ.

Undergrad here, I use :
Python, sadly currently the only real tool I know how to use ( Scipy,Sympy,Numpy,matplotlib,VPython(via Jupyter) via Spyder IDE/ yes I use it for everything at the moment )
Desmos online
Emacs
LaTeX ( Our professor obliges properly written papers to be sent to him on email for questions )

Software engineer here, let's see:

Coding
Code::blocks, Notepad++, Gedit, vim, tail, G++, gdb, valgrind, php, dependency walker, Xcode,

Networking:
Tcpdump, wire shark, fiddler, paros, nmap, telnet

Management:
Svn, git, jenkins, jira, nsis, rpm, yum, phpmysqladmin, liquibase

Math:
Mathematics, matlab

Virtualization:
Vsphere, zen, esxi, virtual box, grub, wine, darwine rdesktop, x11

Stephen Tashi said:
tell the forum what software you use in your field of study - with emphasis on what programs you use, rather than what general purpose computer lang
Outlook, Power Point, Word, ..., Mathematica, R.

Matlab, Matlab, Matlab.

Runners up:
Python and it's various math science pkgs, IDEs.
OpenCV
Excel

No one has yet mentioned their browser. Outlook and my browser (IE / Mozilla) occupy 90% of my time using software. The rest is Powerpoint, Excel and various only-known-in-my-company point tools for accessing various company data.

Likes Dale
My browsers are chromium and firefox. I don't know, how to work with Microsoft products. E.g., I've been never able to produce a readable text with Word (and I've never seen one written by others ;-)).

Likes FactChecker
vanhees71 said:
I've been never able to produce a readable text with Word
This is only because the escape button is of no use in Word ... :biggrin:
vanhees71 said:
vi for smaller tasks

Likes FactChecker
Yeah, that explains it ;-)).

Maple on my office desktop and on my laptop.

Really too many to list but currently:
MSVC 2013
iSystem Debugger/WinIDEA
Altium compiler
Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, Outlook
MatLab
Numerous custom tools for file conversions, radar simulations, etc.
Firefox
Jira
Windows tools (notepad, calculator, etc)

Primary: SumatraPDF:oldlove:, Ruler, Firefox, MATLAB, Mathematica

Secondary: Microsoft Office (hope to be free of soon as I learn LaTeX), LibreOffice, MathType, EndNote

Tertiary: several canned software packages {Advanced Design System, COMSOL Multiphysics, HFSS} but if I can get usable results from the primary I try to avoid using them

field: electromagnetic/optics modeling

I mainly use Gaussian, Matlab, and Origin. Also Microsoft Office (like Word, Excel, and Powerpoint). I use Firefox for browsers.

My field of research is Photochemistry.

berkeman said:
** Tcl/TL or Python -- for automating your manual scripts or other test applications
Do you happen to also have (good or bad) experiences with using Tcl/Tk for the development of simple GUIs? I started thinking about learning this after I became "inspired" by a book on modern Fortran written by Arjen Markus but I would enjoy hearing more opinions from practitioners.

Here is some of the software I use (numerical analysis, linear algebra, dynamics and control):
  • MATLAB: numerical experiments, graphing, scripting
  • Maple: symbolic manipulation, exact arithmetic
  • GNU Emacs: editing of all kinds of manuscripts, text files and source code
  • PGF/TikZ: simple diagrams and drawings
  • Fortran: larger numerical problems, although MATLAB is becoming better at those
During my education most people were using C or C++ (or an unholy mix of those :confused:) but I find Fortran (##\ge 90##) much more natural and expressive for my type of work, mainly because of good intrinsic support for matrices :smile:.

Last edited:
Krylov said:
Do you happen to also have (good or bad) experiences with using Tcl/Tk for the development of simple GUIs?
I've used it for several manufacturing test programs, and it's an okay way to do simple GUI tasks. It can be frustrating at times, if a widget that you want to use isn't exactly what you want. It's a fair bit more complicated if you want to do something that is not already available.

Likes S.G. Janssens
LabVIEW. I probably should have mentioned this, but didn't because it's been a couple years.

But there is little better for interfacing lots of different instruments with a graphical user interface for quasi-real time acquisition, control, analysis, and calibration.

Undergrad Astrophysics:

Python
Mathematica
Labview - (Not a fan...)
Tracker
Fiji

Matlab (which stands for matrix laboratory btw)

I am mostly working on the field of Biostatistics and Biometry. My working horses are SAS and JMP. While I would nobody recommend to start learning SAS (go for R instead), JMP is a nice program which helps you to explore your data with the philosophy that every statistical method should be complemented by an instructive graphics.

For analysis of data from the pulsar timing array
C++
Visual C

MATLAB
Tcl
VMD (Visual Molecular Dynamics)
NAMD
Python (occasionally)
Gnuplot
latex
mozilla firefox

1. I am using (Mathematica) since eary 1990's. I went through all its versions from (Mathematica 5. to (Mathematica 11). It helped my a lot specially when dealing with calculus and graphic illustrations.
2. I use (Miceosoft Word) and (PowerPoint).
3. My current Browser is (Maxthon 4.9.3.1000).
4. (Foxit Reader) for preparing my reports, and downloading literature.

Java via Netbeans
java prototyping via Processing sketches (Processing.org)
python via vim
julia/python via the Anaconda distribution
javascript via nodejs and vim / netbeans

Lately, I've been using Python.

theoretical physics:
- LaTeX
- Mathematica
- Fortran