Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think writing in cursive is going out of style?

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    Do you think writing in cursive is going out of style? I heard someone say today that they might stop teaching it because everyone seemed to be writing in the standard, non-cursive way or just using a computer and not really writing by hand at all very much. There are some disadvantages to it...such as having to go back and dot your i's and cross your ts and being kind of sloppy sometimes, but in general I think you can write quite a bit faster with it. What do people here think? Do you use cursive?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2
    Re: cursive

I fall into the category you've mentioned with doing away with cursive. Partially because my handwriting has always been horrible, but its worse with cursive.

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think like most people today I only write (by hand) for me. Anything for anyone else (beyond a note on the fridge) is going to be typed, in an email or IM.
    So I tend to write in a - first two letters are legible the rest is a scrawl, sort of unofficial shorthand.

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4

What I've noticed a lot of people do (myself included) is sort of a mix between cursive and print.

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I print. It looks better. Speed is not my objective, clarity and presentation are.

7. Feb 9, 2009 #6

About the only thing cursive is useful for is writing a signature. Perhaps they should only teach that (individually to each child... perhaps pretty far along, since there's no reason to sign anything until one is at least high school age).

Personally, I only print (other than my signature), and I've noticed one of my stepsons has horrid printing, in part because they pushed "denelian" (a cross between printing and cursive) right after they taught basic printing (certainly before he mastered it!).

8. Feb 9, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At least we avoided a generation being taught to write in that PalmPilot single stroke writing system!

9. Feb 9, 2009 #8

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but is that a cat resting its head on a copy of Sakurai? My cat is still working through Liboff, after which he is going to teach it to me...At least that was the deal.

10. Feb 9, 2009 #9

As an engineer, I prefer block letter script you would find on an engineering drawing. Very art-deco.

I honestly think cursive is a dead form of writing. I would only support it if people still wrote things by hand and had actual penmanship. Since they don't, it often turns out craptastic.

11. Feb 9, 2009 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love the look of block letters, but it takes so long to write neatly. I tend to mix printing with cursive, just for speed.

12. Feb 9, 2009 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cursive is important! Mathematicians need all the fonts they can get!

13. Feb 10, 2009 #12

Are you sure that's cursive and not cursing? :wink:

14. Feb 10, 2009 #13

I write with a combination of cursive and print. I just sort of randomly change, often in mid-word. If I'm writing a letter, I usually write it in cursive, unless it is really formal in which case I'll usually type it or try to print it as neatly as I can.

I should use it when I take notes, as it would be a lot easier and much more quick, but I tend not to write very neatly when I write so fast and I often can't read what I wrote.

15. Feb 10, 2009 #14

Yeah, I remember learning cursive in second and third grade. I actually used it a lot up to high school. A lot of teachers complained that my handwriting was horrible. And then in tenth grade my English teacher actually returned something back to me ungraded because my handwriting was too bad. I tried writing it normally, and she happily accepted it. After that I figured out that the key to good handwriting was just not writing in cursive anymore. I tried taking notes in cursive once during my junior year of college, but I realized that I had forgotten most of the letters. Now I only use cursive to sign my name.

I do admit that it takes a long time to write anything, especially since most of my written communication is typed on a computer. Last summer when I took my PhD qualifier, most of the questions required explanations (who would think that quantum mechanics problems would require writing sentences!?). And this was the first time in awhile that I actually had to write a paragraph under time constraints, so that hurt my wrist. But hey, at least the graders could read it.

16. Feb 10, 2009 #15

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When called upon to write by hand, I also fall into the category of using a hybrid of cursive & print. I recall writing/filling those little blue books with lengthy answers for History exams. I don't really think about it. I start off printing, but along the way, make cursive strokes. The cursive part must be ingrained in my head from grade school.

Do I think cursive is going out of style? Judging by the comments on this thread, it does seem that way. Though I enjoy reading good cursive script. Here's an example (though I do see this person got carried away dotting i's).
    (ref: www.iampeth.com)
    http://www.iampeth.com/artwork/ECMills_01.jpg [Broken]

My Dad and sister both have have excellent cursive penmanship, very round and flowing. Mine is just average. Yet my grad school advisor's writing was chicken scratch. With practice, I could decipher it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  17. Feb 10, 2009 #16

At this point I don't think I could write cursive if I tried. The last time I used it was on a standardized test (GRE, I think?) where they make you copy a statement in cursive saying you won't discuss the answers or somesuch. It took me like 5 minutes to copy a couple sentences. I was holding the whole room up, it was kind of embarassing.

18. Feb 10, 2009 #17

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's an example of my writing from some of my text book notes.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8186/1000090bx6.jpg [Broken]

I guess I use a mixture of both since I spotted a few cursive s letters and all my f's g's and y's are cursive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. Feb 10, 2009 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I always write using cursive, though it's more of a 'my style' of cursive.. I don't do the backwards r's, for example. I was taught what we called 'joined up writing' at a pretty young age, and so don't really ever remember writing any differently. If I had to print things I'd never get anything done, since it's way faster to write cursive.

20. Feb 10, 2009 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you have to watch that orange pencil with the light in it as well?

21. Feb 10, 2009 #20

Whenever I write in cursive I have kind of a bias to not use words that contain an i or a t or a j because I have to go back and complete those letters. :) When I do use words that have a t, I have a tendency to just draw a line over the entire word, crossing my ls as well as my ts. When I do use words that have an i or a j, I have a tendency to dot some random letter with a large radius of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook