Does a flame mantle get "wetted"?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: This phenomenon is called "auto-ignition." When the flame is small and the mixture is cold, the flame will not ignite. The flame needs to reach a certain temperature in order to ignite the gas mixture. When you blow on the flame, it momentarily blows out outside the mantle, burning inside for a second, but then it jumps back outside on it own.Only when it's good and ready will the flame jump inside the mantle.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
So, when I light up my outdoor heater, the blue flame starts off outside the mantle (the inner glowey bit in the pic), and after about ten seconds of warming up, the flame jumps inside the mantle where it starts to turn the mantle red hot.

Presumably this is the same thing that happens in a camper lantern.

Nothing I do will cause the flame to jump inside until it's ready. If I blow on the flame, it will momentarily blow out outside the mantle, burning inside for a second, but then it jumps back outside on it own.

Only when it's good and ready will the flame jump inside the mantle.

Is it the relative coolness of the mantle that's stopping ignition from occurring inside the mantle until it's the right temp?

51R3NR355YL._SY355_.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting observation. I think it must be that the mantle gradually warms up and becomes hot enough to ignite the gas/air mixture inside it.

Is it premixed before you burn it? If so, then:
Premixed flames have a property called the burning velocity. If you have a tube filled with premixed gas and ignite it, it is the traveling velocity of the flame. If the velocity of the incoming mixture is as high as the burning velocity, the flame will stand still in the tube. If the incoming velocity is higher, the flame will eventually move downstream and out of the tube. If you place some kind of mesh at the exit of the tube, the flame will stabilize on the mesh. If you blow the flames inside, it will get blown out again because the mixture velocity is higher than the burning velocity.

I think sophiecentaur is correct and the mixture will auto-ignite on the upstream side of the mesh once the mesh gets hot enough. "Red Hot" starts already at 500 Celcius and most gases ignite below that temperature (butane=400, propane=470). Also, the burning velocity increases when you preheat the unburnt mixture, so the flames will move closer to the mesh, which will in turn increase the temperature of the mesh...
Is there also a second flame holder/mesh inside of the mantle?

Likes NascentOxygen
bigfooted said:
Is there also a second flame holder/mesh inside of the mantle?
No. The next feature is the ring of nozzles.

Nozzle. Great word, that. Nozzle.

Like this (only less blurry):

I light it at 0:07s. You can see how it's outside the mantle.

Then I blow on it 4 times between 0:09 and 0:12. It will not jump inside the mantle - until at 0:14 it does so spontaneously.

What is a flame mantle?

A flame mantle is a type of burner that uses a woven fabric or mesh coated with a flammable substance, such as thorium or cerium, to produce a bright and steady flame.

How does a flame mantle work?

When the burner valve is opened, the flammable coating on the fabric or mesh is ignited, creating a flame. As the fabric or mesh burns, it creates ash and a small amount of light. The ash is what gives the flame its steady and bright appearance.

Does a flame mantle get "wetted"?

No, a flame mantle does not get "wetted" in the traditional sense. However, it can become saturated with fuel, which can affect its performance. It is important to properly maintain and replace a flame mantle when it becomes saturated.

What happens if a flame mantle gets wet?

If a flame mantle becomes wet with water or any other liquid, it will not burn properly and may produce a weak or flickering flame. This can be dangerous and should be avoided. If a flame mantle becomes wet, it should be replaced before use.

How do I know when a flame mantle needs to be replaced?

A flame mantle should be replaced when it becomes saturated with fuel or when it starts to produce a weak or flickering flame. It is also recommended to replace a flame mantle after extended use or if it shows signs of wear and tear. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper maintenance and replacement of a flame mantle.