1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a good General GRE score help at all?

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, I'm applying to graduate school in physics, and my GRE physics score wasn't ideal (not a complete failure, but not ideal), anyways would a good general GRE score help counteract that at all? Or will physics schools only look for good Physics scores and generally not care about the verbal GRE score (I know they do care about the Quant)?

Also, I'm applying to specialize in Astrophysics/cosmology, is that a relatively rare field and will that also help my chances?

I ponder this because I would like to know if I have a high chance of being rejected from the schools I am applying to and would therefore have to take the GRE physics again to apply next year...which means I need to get studying soon >_>

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2
    No one really cares about your general GRE score. If it's too low, it might hurt, but a great score really won't really help. The subject GRE is much more important.

P.S. - If anything, I'd say the verbal is more important than the quantitative, if only because virtually everyone going to graduate school in the sciences and engineering has very close to 800... there is no useful information in that score for the majority of applicants.

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I did pretty well on both so i was hoping it'd help my application a bit heh...

5. Dec 4, 2009 #4
    Verbal does not matter. I got in with 670, many people from foreign countries get in with much less.

6. Dec 4, 2009 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, guess I better get to studying hehe

7. Dec 4, 2009 #6
    Doesn't a 670 verbal correspond to a percentile in the 90's?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook