Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anybody believe in true love?

1. Aug 17, 2006 #1
    I don't think it is more than any chemical reaction but then again, I have never experienced it. I have heard from people that soulmates do exists and you can tell when you find one. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2006 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I don't believe there's such a thing as a 'true' love, but then again, any time you use the word true, there's a lot of misconception involved.

I suppose one of the great discoveries of the 20th century is that things can 'exist' as probability wave functions instead of just beign here or there. A romance/relationship equivalent of that is compatibility. We don't say "she's the one!" anymore, we say "she's extremely compatable with me"

4. Aug 17, 2006 #3

I don't think....

*poof*

5. Aug 17, 2006 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Don't look for a "soulmate" or perfection in any sense. People are who they are, and you cannot expect to find the perfect fit to the jigsaw puzzle that is you. You can, however, hope to find people with whom you "click" and grow to accept one another. I think that infatuation is a human trait that allows us to tolerate our companions until we can learn to accomodate their quirks and foibles and learn to love them. I could be wrong, but I've been with my best friend for 31 years and she's the most important factor in my life.

6. Aug 18, 2006 #5
    You mean a man and a woman exclusively loving one another for the rest of their lives in doubtless objective bliss?

Ha!

7. Aug 20, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Perpetual Bliss is an unrealistic expectation. Relationships, especially marriage, require effort and commitment, but two people can love each other forever. My parents and two sets of grandparents proved that.

It's working so far with my wife, with whom I have been for 26+ years.

8. Aug 20, 2006 #7

Astronuc

The Rose (composed by Amanda McBroom,sung by Bette Midler & McBroom)

9. Aug 20, 2006 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

So You are not...:smile:

10. Aug 20, 2006 #9
    The thing is, I know true love exists, but I don't know weather soulmates or predestined love exists or not.

11. Aug 20, 2006 #10
    True love is still a hypothesis to me, the only love I ever experienced that wasn't mere transitory infatuation was unrequited for years, I popped the question after a year and was utterly heart broken when she said no. I still love her now though, although it is just a memory, not sure if this counts? If I experience anything simillar in my life I'll let ya'll know.

Astronuc: that is by far the most saccharine song material I have ever seen, in the same league with 'It's awonderful life's' ending. Love it, makes me cringe, same reason I watch horror films I guess:smile:

12. Aug 20, 2006 #11

Astronuc

I love "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947 and '73TV versions). What can I say, I'm corny and sappy inside, i.e. I'm a romantic at heart. :tongue2:

Actually, I heard that song on the radio and thought of this thread. Midler's & McBroom's harmony is wonderful.

13. Sep 6, 2006 #12
    Love sucks.

And thats all I have to say about that.

14. Sep 6, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Proof of true love?

After twenty years, Tsu still hasn't killed me. :biggrin:

15. Sep 6, 2006 #14
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fair enough.

16. Oct 3, 2006 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course it exists.

Why does this forum attract this question on an all-too-regular basis?

17. Oct 3, 2006 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Jessica Simpson's love for me certainly isn't false love.

18. Oct 3, 2006 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Err... that's spelled "M-a-r-g-e" First day touch-typing? :rofl:

19. Oct 3, 2006 #18

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose unconditional love could be termed true love. The chances of two people meeting and being in a relationship who love each other unconditionally are rather remote though. Luckily most parental and family bonds are unconditional.

The standard hormonal response to physical attraction is about two years. I went out with a girl for about two years whom I can honestly say I found absolutely no flaw with whatsoever and I still love her as much today, but evidentally her love for me was just a hormonally driven physical attraction. I'd give anything to make it more than that. But alas, such its life and I imagine most people will have to have some experience of that sometime.

20. Oct 4, 2006 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yeah, God I hate it when women are just hot for my bones.

Hey Kurdt, know what this is? The world's smallest violin, playing just for you!

:biggrin:

21. Oct 4, 2006 #20
    WOW..Amazing

Said like a true Scientist----statistics and biological analysis...I'd be surprised if your relationships work for a long period of time!! no offense meant!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?