Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anybody know the energy shells eV for glass, and solid carbon?

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    Carbon.
    So is it known what energy levels for electrons in glass atoms are in eV to move to a higher shell level.
    Glass does not absorb any light, except UV.
    but what is the eV for the glass electron to get excited and leave the ground state, and move up to shell level 2, or energy band 2.
    Also when carbon electrons are in the ground state, how much eV from light or any other EM radiation does it take for the electron to jump to shell/ energy band 2, and to shell 3, up to the point where the electron would leave the atom.
    The reason I want to know about eV levels in carbon because it is the material the human body, as well as oxygen, and hydrogen, and some others.
    I am studying neuroscience, and how to make human tissue less opaque, if it possible to do.
    Thank you for your help, anything helps even a few words.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you try googling "band structure of <substance name>"?
    Note: the exact band structure will depend on the details of the substance in question: there is more than one kind of substance that is called "glass", more than one kind of "solid carbon", etc.

The band structure of organic molecules is very different from the structure of bulk carbon - the arrangement of atoms in a molecule determines it's properties more than the mere presence of particular atoms. Being mostly hydrogen, for instance, does not give our bodies the properties of bulk hydrogen gas any more than having a lot of carbon in solid structures in our bodies makes those structures similar to graphite, soot, or diamond ... all solid arrangements of carbon atoms.

4. Jan 22, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Here is something that you need to learn: solid state physics can be VERY DIFFERENT than atomic physics.

When atoms are joined together to form a solid, their behavior can be very different than when they are isolated. There are no more "discrete energy states" at the low-lying range, because these have been replaced by energy BANDS!

Look at carbon, for example. If I take carbon atoms, and arrange it in one way, I get graphite. But I change the arrangement in another way, I get diamond! Two completely different types of material, and with different optical properties. Yet, each one of them is made of carbon!

So, do you still think that just simply knowing that it is carbon is sufficient to actually deduce the property of the material?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook