Does anyone have any liquid fuel rocket plans?

In summary: IF you are using LOX, you will need to create a pressure vessel to hold the fuel. You could pressurize the ethanol tank with the evaporation of the LOX. This would eliminate the need for a fuel pump. There are pros and cons to this approach. The pro is that you would save weight. The con is that the evaporation of the LOX could create a dangerous cryogenic environment.
Tom10331
Hey I'm starting to build liquid fueled rockets.(built 1 but injecter didnt work properly :eek: ) Does anyone have any plans to build a rocket or at least some tips. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would advise you to take -extreme- caution when building liquid-fuel rockets. When, not if, something goes wrong, you'd best be behind sturdy concrete.

John Carmack is http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home and he has plenty of information regarding the construction of rockets using mono-propellants, as well as some recent work with bi-propellants.

Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
i haven't worked much with propellants just the other end of it
but here is a good reference site
http://members.aol.com/ricnakk/index.html

I'll second the recommendation that you are extremely careful. Liquid rockets are commonly referred to as 'bombs'

i suggest you launch it from at least a good 50 yards away from you and i think you should have some kind of shack with a sturdy window to watch it in or a concrete bunker

whats being used as propellant here?

Last edited:
i suggest you launch it from at least a good 50 feet away from you

I suggest you don't listen to Ki Man. HE can stand 50 feet away... I would stand at LEAST 50 m away.

Remember... when the shuttle launches, there are the astronauts inside... and nobody else for 3 MILES!

Cheers...

did i say feet. i meant yards

*edits old post* told you i had bad charisma

depends on what type of rocket it is. if its an expirimental rocket then i'd be pretty far. if its one of those smaller model/kit kind i wouldn't be as worried, but when the kind of rocket your making is nicknamed a bomb, be afraid. be very afraid

Last edited:
And depends on how big it is :P

Shoot off a 500 pound rocket and you might want to have a car nearby for transportation.

and an FAA permit.

Looking back on these rocket launches we did back in high school... I am rather amazed at how close we stood to the rockets. Hell, one nearly hit one of us while another smashed into hte hood of the teacher's truck!

LOL! i hope that happens to my english teachers car when we launch of model rockets this year.

the movie october sky is a really good movie. also 20 minutes in it shows how dangerous rocketry can really be.
should we get behind something? *boom* they all get knocked over and a piece of fence goes flying. that was with a really small rocket too. second one, it goes flying into the mine and nearly takes a head off

Last edited:
yo thanks i tried testing a new engine and my homemade turbopump broke does anyone know a supplier for turbo pumps (and valves).

umm... i just did a search and this was my first hit

http://www.wishmasterjo.com/

looks pretty good too. is that what you were looking for?

:cool: yo thanks but do they send to Canadians

Tom10331, what are you using for propellants? Most of what I've seen out there for liquid fuels are dangerous for various reasons.

ANother point to consider is how much of your chosen fuel you can store/posess legally.

Either way please be careful and good luck. I hope this project works like a dream!

Thx Francis i just ordered some new things. (turbo pumps,tanks etc) For the fuel I am using ethanol(ethly alcohol) and LOX from my uncles welding store.

I also hope it works like a dream to.

Tell you guys of the feed back from the launch(no date yet).

Thx :rofl:

Yo guys I have been trying to make a launcher but i can't get it right does anyone have any designs for one or at least a place to buy them. :smile:

Tom10331 said:
:cool: yo thanks but do they send to Canadians
IF not then do what I do...get it sent to a store in Ogdensburg NY, (jsut over the border) and then drive down and pick it up. Of course, this is depending on how far Burlington is from teh border... :rolleyes:

Burlington is about a 5-6 hour drive from the border. :rofl:

Tom10331 said:
Thx Francis i just ordered some new things. (turbo pumps,tanks etc) For the fuel I am using ethanol(ethly alcohol) and LOX from my uncles welding store.

I also hope it works like a dream to.

Tell you guys of the feed back from the launch(no date yet).

Thx :rofl:

LOX from a welding store? I thought that was just gasseous oxygen in a high pressure cylinder.

If you are using LOX please don't get it near any petroleum based products :eek: and watch out for it's cryogenic properties (very dangerous).

Say I have a sidebar question folks, Could you use the evaporation of the LOX to pressurize the LOX tank and then use something to pressurize the Ethanol tank and use that to move the fuel possibly saving weight by eliminating the fuel pump :confused: Pros, cons comments?

You wouldn't be able to maintain a constant pressure in your tank as the LOX gets consumed without either a pump or an inert gas pressurant system EDIT: unless the reaction is REEEEALY slow.

If the pressure in the combustion chamber then gets larger than the tank pressure, the combustion will stop or you'll have a pretty explosion without a checkvalve. :smile:

Last edited:
Francis M said:
LOX from a welding store? I thought that was just gasseous oxygen in a high pressure cylinder.
LOX iis just oxygen cooled to a really cold level so you just have to get the temperature to -260.

(get Nitrogen from liquid air to cool it)

enigma said:
You wouldn't be able to maintain a constant pressure in your tank as the LOX gets consumed without either a pump or an inert gas pressurant system EDIT: unless the reaction is REEEEALY slow.

If the pressure in the combustion chamber then gets larger than the tank pressure, the combustion will stop or you'll have a pretty explosion without a checkvalve. :smile:

I should spake the ingleese more welley (it's supposed to be my native tounge) :rofl:

That's exactly what I meant but didn't express well at all, sorry. My question really was what would be the pros and cons of each fuel delivery system, ease of construction (complexity), any weight savings, etc...

Tom10331 said:
Hey I'm starting to build liquid fueled rockets.(built 1 but injecter didnt work properly :eek: ) Does anyone have any plans to build a rocket or at least some tips. :smile:

Never mind all these guys' suggestions on safety... just go for it (and design a good combustion chamber and injector so that it doesn't blow).

I'm about to undertake a similar endeavour... I started off with water-powered rockets and ended up with a 4kg 2 metre-long water rocket that goes about 200m high... I've just ordered 3kg KNO3 to make myself a sugar rocket.

Once that succeeds marvelously (being optimistic here LOL), I've got some plans for a liquid fueled rocket that I grabbed off some guy's blog and I'll study some of those books on designing small rocket engines (there's one in top 10 on Google if you have a search) to find out dimensions etc for a decent one.

From the research I've done so far, it seems that the biggest problems you'll have are: (a) getting a good injector design, (b) ignition and pumps, (c) weight and (d) cooling.

Make sure you keep a detailed photo/video documentary of everything you do so we can follow along with / copy what you do :tongue: :grin:

Good luck!

1. What materials are needed for a liquid fuel rocket?

The materials needed for a liquid fuel rocket include a fuel tank, a combustion chamber, a nozzle, valves, pumps, and a guidance system. The fuel used can vary, but common options include liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen, and kerosene.

2. How much does it cost to build a liquid fuel rocket?

The cost of building a liquid fuel rocket can vary greatly depending on the size and complexity of the rocket. It can range from a few thousand dollars for a small amateur rocket to millions of dollars for a professional-grade rocket.

3. Is it dangerous to build and launch a liquid fuel rocket?

Building and launching a liquid fuel rocket can be dangerous and should only be attempted by trained professionals. The high pressures and temperatures involved in the combustion process can pose a significant risk if not handled properly.

4. How long does it take to build a liquid fuel rocket?

The time it takes to build a liquid fuel rocket can vary depending on the resources and expertise available. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to design, build, and test a liquid fuel rocket.

5. Can I launch a liquid fuel rocket in my backyard?

No, it is not safe to launch a liquid fuel rocket in a residential area. Rockets require a large open space, away from buildings and people, for a safe launch. It is also important to obtain the necessary permits and permissions before launching a rocket.