1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone know how to find radius of convergence for sin x and e^x

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    [sloved]Does anyone know how to find radius of convergence for sin x and e^x

We know that to find radius of convergence we use ratio test (ie lim {a_n+1} /{a_n})
    Can this method be used for sin x and e^x? ( whose radius of convergence is -infinity and infinity)
    if radius of convergence is -infinity<x< infinity right? it means when we use ratio test the result is zero?

but we see for e^x,
    i get |e| when using ratio test, which implies that it diverge?

Im confused. Can anyone can help?
    thanks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are very confused. You have to use the ratio test on the coefficients of the Taylor series for e^x and sin(x). How do you get |e| for e^x?

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3
    cause i use lim (e^(n+1)/ e^(n)) and i got e?
    do you mean i use the coefficient of taylor series for e^x = 1 + x + (x^2)/2 + .....
    then e^(x+1) = 1 + (x+1) + (x+1)^2/2 +...
    then divide ??

5. Mar 22, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, use the general term in whatever series you're investigating. For ex, the Maclaurin series is
    [tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

6. Mar 22, 2010 #5
    wow..thats a great hint.
    so its lim of [ {(x+1)^n /(n+1)!} * {(n!)/(x)^n} ] which gives lim {x/ (n+1} and when n tends to infinity the limit becomes zero ...so the radius of convergence is - infinity to + infinity??

7. Mar 22, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it. If you meant to write x^(n+1) in the numerator instead of (x+1)^n.

8. Mar 22, 2010 #7
    opps..haha..yup..
    thanks alot for your help!!
    anw, can you help me in another multiple integration question too?
    no one replied yet=(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook